Default window width on win2000

  • Stephen Boulet
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      Can I change the default width of the gvim window when it launches? I'm
      running under win2000. Thanks.

      _________
      Stephen

      If your desktop gets out of control easily,
      you probably have too much stuff on it that
      doesn't need to be there.
      Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        > Can I change the default width of the gvim window when it launches? I'm
        > running under win2000. Thanks.
        >
        > _________
        > Stephen
        >
        > If your desktop gets out of control easily,
        > you probably have too much stuff on it that
        > doesn't need to be there.
        > Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"

        See
        :help 'lines'
        :help 'columns'
        :help :winpos

        Examples:
        To set 100 columns by 50 lines, 5 pixels away from the top and left
        sides of the screen:
        winpos 5 5
        set lines=50 columns=100

        To occupy the whole available screen space:
        winpos 0 0
        set lines=99999 columns=99999

        Add these lines to your vimrc. If you also change the 'guifont' you should,
        for best results, change the guifont first and the lines&columns afterwards,
        because changing the font may change the size of the gvim window.

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          > Can I change the default width of the gvim window when it
          > launches? I'm running under win2000. Thanks.

          In your gvimrc file, you should be able to set the 'columns'
          property to something more to your liking. From my own, I have

          set lines=100 columns=80

          Additionally, if you want it at a particular location, you can add

          au GUIEnter * winpos 600 0

          which will move the window to your desired location (though your
          window manager may also be smart about this). For more info,
          check out

          :help 'lines'
          :he 'columns'
          :he winpos