Re: how to use vim as a file manager?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "bxuefeng" <phyrster@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 5:57 PM
      Subject: how to use vim as a file manager?

      > Hi vim users,
      >
      > How to make vim a sleek yet powerful file manager?
      >
      > I got his script ls.vim from the main site but not so happy with its key
      > mappings. (I am tweaking it but I am no coder)
      >
      > Is it possible to use vim like this:
      >
      > vi /home/user
      >
      > and start managing files?
      >

      > regards
      >
      > bxuef

      Yes, you can, even without any plugin other than those which are distributed
      together with Vim. ":edit dirname" is interpreted by the netrw plugin, which
      shows you a listing of the directory. Click a filename to edit it, or a
      subdirectory name to display its contents.

      -- at least if you are using vim or gvim. I don't know what the original
      "vi" (not by Bram Moolenaar et al.) does in such a case. And on RedHat-like
      systems, "vi" is sometimes an alias to a stripped-down version of Vim, which
      may lack some features required for this to work (such as autocommands, or
      [gasp] arithmetic evaluation). Use "vim" or (if X11 is running) "gvim", not
      "vi", as the program name.