Inclusive movement

  • dcuaron@cs.nmsu.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2005
      Just curious F and T are listed as inclusive movements
      but if you are editing the following

      one two

      and the cursor is positioned on the t and you do dFe
      you get...

      ontwo if the movement is inclusive shouldn't you get
      onwo when you perform dge and your cursor is on the t
      in two you get onwo. Both F and ge are listed as
      inclusive movements so shouldn't dF and dge act the same
      way assuming they start in the same place. Given the
      string

      012345

      you would think df5 (assuming the cursor were on the 0)
      and dF0 (assuming the cursor were on the 5) would
      completely delete it. Just curious....
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2005
        Anonymous Coward wrote:

        > Just curious F and T are listed as inclusive movements
        > but if you are editing the following
        >
        > one two
        >
        > and the cursor is positioned on the t and you do dFe
        > you get...
        >
        > ontwo if the movement is inclusive shouldn't you get
        > onwo when you perform dge and your cursor is on the t
        > in two you get onwo. Both F and ge are listed as
        > inclusive movements so shouldn't dF and dge act the same
        > way assuming they start in the same place. Given the
        > string
        >
        > 012345
        >
        > you would think df5 (assuming the cursor were on the 0)
        > and dF0 (assuming the cursor were on the 5) would
        > completely delete it. Just curious....

        This is a mistake in the documentation, "F" and "T" are exclusive.

        --
        CRONE: Who sent you?
        ARTHUR: The Knights Who Say GNU!

      • Halim, Salman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          Dunno if you've got any response to this (email was a spot
          inconsistent), but I've always understood the cusor to not actually be
          ON the letter, but rather just BEFORE it; a lot of the operations make
          more sense to me if I think about the cursor in this manner...

          Regards,

          Salman.