Re: vim OLE issue

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29 7:54 AM
      From: "Bruce Who" <HuXuZhao@...>
      To: "vim" <vim@...>
      Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 4:46 AM
      Subject: vim OLE issue

      > Hi,
      >
      > Lately I'm trying to use vim as an external editor in my application. I
      > choose the OLE way to do this:
      >
      > from win32com.client.dynamic import Dispatch
      > VimInst = Dispatch('Vim.Application')
      >
      > But I have a issues: if there are already vim running. This VimInst is one
      > of the open ones. How to create a new vim instance?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated!
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Bruce Who
      > 2005-07-29

      IIUC, the OLE mechanism doesn't allow you to choose to which instance of
      gvim your messages go. You get the first OLE-enabled instance of gvim.

      A workaround would be to compile a non-OLE version of gvim, give both
      versions different names, register the OLE version using the --register
      command-line argument, and do all your editing with the non-OLE version
      until or unless you need the OLE capability.

    • Bruce Who
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi,Tony:

        >From: "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...>
        >
        >IIUC, the OLE mechanism doesn't allow you to choose to which
        >instance of gvim your messages go. You get the first OLE-enabled
        >instance of gvim.
        >
        >A workaround would be to compile a non-OLE version of gvim, give
        >both versions different names, register the OLE version using the
        >--register command-line argument, and do all your editing with the
        >non-OLE version until or unless you need the OLE capability.

        Thanks, but that doesn't work for me. I use gvim as a external editor for
        my application. I cannot claim the application's users to use non-OLE
        version of gvim or OLE version gvim.