Re: ANN: W32 executables for 6.3 and 7.0

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
      From: "Bruce Who" <HuXuZhao@...>
      To: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>; "vim" <vim@...>
      Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 4:24 AM
      Subject: Re: ANN: W32 executables for 6.3 and 7.0
      [...]

      > Maybe what I really need is not exactly a tabs-wideget, :-<. I just need
      > something that 1)show me all the buffers' names/their buffer numbers/they
      > are modified or not and 2)is always visible and 3)cannot be closed by
      > <C-W>q/:bd/:bw accidently 4)cannot be entered by :bn/:bp.
      >
      > I just don't want to jump to another buffer by 3 steps 1):ls 2)find out
      > the buffer number 3):[N]b. It's a simple operation, why should we newbies
      > take so many steps?
      >
      > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      >         Bruce Who
      >           2005-07-29

      Unless you want it to apply to very large numbers of buffers, you might use
      what I call "the poor man's tabbed editing", or "Rolodex Vim", as follows:

      1. :set noequalalways winheight=99999 winminheight=0

      2. Don't "hide" the buffers you want to use, but keep them "open" in split
      windows.

      3. The window for the current buffer will expand up and down, reducing all
      other windows to just their status lines and nothing else.

      4. The status lines for windows other than the current one are at the top
      and bottom of the screen, like the tabs of a Rolodex. They show 'modified'
      status by the presence or absence of [+], and (when there is room) the
      file's path.

      5. Switch buffers as follows:

      5.1. Ctrl-W w goes to the next "tab" down, or from the bottom one to the
      top one.

      5.2. Ctrl-W W goes to the next "tab" up, or from the top one to the
      bottom one.

      5.3. {count} Ctrl-W w goes to the {count}-th "tab" from top.

      5.4. I use the following mappings; you can vary them at will:

      :map <F11> <C-W>w
      :map <S-F11> <C-W>W
      :imap <F11> <C-O><C-W>w
      :imap <S-F11> <C-O><C-W>W

      5.5. For mouse-lovers (not you or me, but there are others): Clicking a
      "tab" with the mouse opens it.

    • Van Valen,Joseph - LGCRP
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
        This "Rolodex VIM" mode looks quite interesting.

        I am another user who would like to have buffer tabs in VIM, but I'm
        willing to give the "Rolodex VIM" approach a try in the interim.
        Should I turn off the Hidden option when using this mode?

        Remembering to :sp rather than :e is going to take a while :-)

        Joseph Van Valen

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005