Re: latest distribution

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jeremy" <jlconlin@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:14 PM
      Subject: Re: latest distribution

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >> Jeremy wrote:
      >>

      >>>I am really interested in trying out Vim 7. What is the best way to get
      >>>the latest distribution and also update it when it changes? BTW, I am
      >>>running osx.
      >>

      >> The info you need should be here: http://www.vim.org/develop.php
      >>
      >> If you use Aap then updating regularly will be simple.
      >>
      > How often should I update Vim 7? Will the process decribed on the link
      > above eliminate Vim 6.x? I am worried that a build of Vim 7 won't work
      > and I wouldn't have Vim 6 to fall back on.
      > Thanks,
      > Jeremy

      It is possible to install 6.3 and 7.00aa side-by-side and have them both
      working, and even run them in parallel at the same time.

      Under Windows, $VIM/vim63 will hold the one, $VIM/vim70aa the other. Just
      make sure that your "default" vim is in the PATH.

      Under Unix, check where you install them: neither executable should be in
      /bin/, /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/; place the executables in (for instance)
      usr/share/vim/vim63/bin and usr/share/vim/vim70aa/bin and have /bin/vim be a
      softlink to your default version of Vim. (I haven't checked the Unix
      Makefile but a small change in the rule for its "install" target might be
      required to achieve that.)

      To invoke the "non-default" version, use an explicit path: for instance, my
      default Vim is gvim.exe 7.0; when I want to run the 6.3 version I type
      %VIM%\vim63\gvim.exe at the CMD.EXE command-line (and %VIM% gets resolved to
      C:\PROGRA~1\vim). At the bash command-line it would be $VIM/vim63/bin/gvim
      if $VIM is set to /usr/share/vim (which is the usual fallback default in
      Unix Vim, but I find it practical to have $VIM defined even outside of Vim).
      You could also create aliases if you often use both versions.