gVim with Mac OS X

  • Vlad Ghitulescu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
      Hello!

      After using gVim with Windows (XP and 2000) and Linux I want to use it
      now also with my Mac (OS X 10.3, Panther).

      I have some questions:

      1.- How can I edit my .vimrc? I cannot see it in Finder, I can only
      change something in it when choosing Edit-Preferences-Edit .vimrc for
      future sessions :-(

      2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((

      3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin
      etc.)?! :-(((

      Sorry for all the silly questions ... but I still hope, you can help me
      :-)

      Thanks!

      Regards,
      Vlad

      +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++
    • Eljay Love-Jensen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
        Hi Vlad,

        >1.- How can I edit my .vimrc?

        You can...

        Start gVim, and press
        :e ~/.vimrc

        Or you can start up Terminal.app, and run "vi ~/.vimrc".

        (I use Terminal.app.)

        >2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard?

        On my U.S. Keyboard, the grave/tilde key is the next key to the immediate left of the one/bang key.

        >3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin etc.)?

        From within Vim or gVim, do this...
        :echo $VIMRUNTIME

        HTH,
        --Eljay
      • James Vega
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
          On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:53:45PM -0500, Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
          > >3.- Where are all my config-files and -folders (like colors, plugin etc.)?
          >
          > From within Vim or gVim, do this...
          > :echo $VIMRUNTIME

          You can also make those directories in ~/.vim for personal
          customization, just like any other *nix OS.

          James
        • Alan Schmitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
            Le 6 juil. 05 à 20:19, Vlad Ghitulescu a écrit :

            2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((

            It really depends on the keyboard. If it's configured as qwerty (or dvorak), then ~ is in the lower left key (just right of shift). Otherwise you might have to do "alt-N space" (this is what's needed for French keyboards, for instance).

            One really easy way to find how to do the keys is:
            - open the system Preferences
            - choose "International"
            - go to "Input menu" (I don't know the English denomination for it, it's the rightmost tab)
            - activate "keyboard visualizer" there and "display the input menu"
            - in the newly appeared menu item (which should reflect your current layout), choose the "keyboard visualizer", you'll then see what each key does, by itself, when pressing shift, or alt, etc...

            HTH,

            Alan Schmitt

          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
              Le 7 juil. 05 à 09:34, Alan Schmitt a écrit :

              > Le 6 juil. 05 à 20:19, Vlad Ghitulescu a écrit :
              >
              >> 2.- How can I make a tilde with the Mac-keyboard? :-((
              >
              > It really depends on the keyboard. If it's configured as qwerty (or
              > dvorak), then ~ is in the lower left key (just right of shift).

              Sorry for replying to my own message, but I just realized that the ~
              key is there _for an azerty keyboard configured as qwerty or dvorak_.
              If your keyboard physical layout is qwerty, it is not there.

              (Not only keyboard mappings differ from country to country, but the
              actual physical layout is also different ... there are more keys on a
              French azerty keyboard than on an American qwerty, for instance.
              Crazy world).

              Alan