guifont++.vim fails on mswin32 after upgrading from vim 6.2. to 6.3

  • Jeff Holt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 11:39 AM
      I'm seeing odd behavior in guifont++.vim, on windoze, after upgrading from vim 6.2 to 6.3. When I press the mapped keys ('-' for smaller font size and '+' for larger font size) nothing happens unless I then press some other key, say, the '+' key. When I press '+' twice, this is what I see on the vim command line:

        :call SetLargerFont()+

        If I press the '+' followed by '=', then I see this instead:
      :call SetLargerFont()=

        Before the upgrade, I backed up _vimrc and plugin/guifont++.vim. After the upgrade I reinstalled these two files. After seeing this odd behavior I uninstalled the product, rebooted, removed the remaining dll and then performed an install from scratch. Doing so had no noticeable effect. I redownloaded the plugin even though it hasn't changed since I first downloaded it. Again, no noticeable effect.

        Following is the content of my _vimrc file:
        set guioptions=gmLtT
        set nocompatible
        set tabstop=4
        set syn=off
        set guifont=Lucida_Console:h8:cANSI
        let guifontpp_size_increment=1
        set nocompatible

        Removing my _vimrc file had no noticeable effect on guifont++.vim although there were other expected effects
    • Jeff Holt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6 8:28 AM
        Second request.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6 8:36 AM
          Ummm, why not talk to the maintainer of the plugin... in case you're
          unable to do this youself, here's the relevant information:
          http://www.vim.org/account/profile.php?user_id=1857

          For the record, that script hasn't been updated in 2 years.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6 8:43 AM
            On 7/6/05, Jeff Holt <Jeff.Holt@...> wrote:
            > You've mentioned the EXACT reason why I didn't contact the author/maintainer. If the code
            > hasn't changed but the version of vim did, then surely the cause is core vim, not the plugin!

            Sure, but you can't expect vim to maintain internals from version to
            version because of one script - if the internals changed and something
            doesn't work, that something needs to be changed - it seriously can't
            be that hard to modify this plugin..
          • Jeff Holt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6 9:18 AM
              I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2 and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional software development.

              But even if features were added to 6.3 or if internals shouldn't be maintained, then how am I to know what to do unless I ask the masses?

              If I created my own problem, then I'll deal with it. If others experience the same thing as me, then there's a good chance that the solution is already there.

              In either case, I have no other reasonable course but to ask. The lack of a response means I have to ask again or make an assumption. I don't have time for assumptions.

              But then again, maybe I should just use notepad.

              > You've mentioned the EXACT reason why I didn't contact the author/maintainer. If the code
              > hasn't changed but the version of vim did, then surely the cause is core vim, not the plugin!

              Sure, but you can't expect vim to maintain internals from version to
              version because of one script - if the internals changed and something
              doesn't work, that something needs to be changed - it seriously can't
              be that hard to modify this plugin..
            • James Vega
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6 10:17 AM
                On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:18:42AM -0500, Jeff Holt wrote:
                > I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain
                > behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I
                > attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2
                > and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only
                > bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect
                > internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional
                > software development.

                :help version-6.3

                > [snip]
                > But then again, maybe I should just use notepad.

                Do you honestly think anyone cares what editor you use? Use what you
                want to. If you use Vim, we'll help answer your questions. If you use
                something else, have fun.

                James
              • Jeff Holt
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6 11:23 AM
                  You must be kidding. I was trying to be a smartass because Aaron was acting like an idiot instead of being just the least bit compassionate (go bother the plugin owner and leave us alone).

                  By the way, I just fixed my problem. I had created a new environment variable VIM and added %VIM% to my PATH. If I had chosen another name for the variable, then I would not have had the problem.

                  On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:18:42AM -0500, Jeff Holt wrote:
                  > I think that most people, whether consciously or not, expect certain
                  > behavior if features aren't being added. In the few mouse clicks I
                  > attempted I found no CHANGES document for the difference between 6.2
                  > and 6.3 and so I don't know if only bugs were fixed in 6.3. If only
                  > bugs were fixed, then I think it makes PERFECT sense to expect
                  > internals to be maintained. That's the whole point of professional
                  > software development.

                  :help version-6.3