vim next line

  • Neszt Tibor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hello!

      Can anyone help me, how to force vim to go to the next line in case going the
      to the right at the end of the line?

      Regards,
      Neszt Tibor

      E-mail: neszt@szote.u-szeged.hu
      PGP: 0x71EC8049
      Fingerprint = 3005 B925 C116 CCCE 117C C6A4 20CC 8B22 71EC 8049
    • Neszt Tibor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thank You for Your reply.

        I try to tell different way, what I need. (sorry for my bad english)

        Suppose, I have the following text file (two lines):

        ab
        cd

        Starting vim, I would like to go to "d" pressing the l (step right) key 3
        times. (3l) The cursor stops at b(the screen is blinking). Is there any
        option or other possibility to go to c from b using key l (or other right
        key)?

        It would be also good either in the insert mode.

        Best regards,

        On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Neszt Tibor" <neszt@szote.u-szeged.hu>

      • Suresh Govindachar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
          Neszt Tibor Sent on July 02, 2005 2:03 PM

          > Hello!
          >
          > Can anyone help me, how to force vim to go to the next line in
          > case going the to the right at the end of the line?

          :help l brings up the section on "Left-right motions". Quoting from
          the bottom of this section:

          | These commands move the cursor to the specified column in the
          | current line. They stop at the first column and at the end of
          | the line, except "$", which may move to one of the next lines.
          | See 'whichwrap' option to make some of the commands move across
          | line boundaries.

          This leads to :help whichwrap (or just putting the cursor on the
          word 'whichwrap' and hitting return). From there, what needs to be
          done is

          :set whichwrap+=l.

          However, note the caveat:

          | When 'l' is included, you get a side effect: "yl" on an empty
          | line will include the <EOL>, so that "p" will insert a new line.

          --Suresh