Mapping the > character

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      Vim 6.3.75 WinXP SP2

      Standard usage:
      :map <C-F1> :do something<CR>

      But what if you want to use the "<" and ">" keys in your map?

      Really I wanted CTRL->, but I do not believe we can use that key since if I
      type:
      :<C-V><C->> (^V, followed by ^>)
      I do not get any output, so I assume this means I cannot map that key.

      So I tried ALT->, using ^V I can see this has a value. So I can map it
      using ^V and then the character. However, I do not like doing this since it
      is not particularily self documenting. Is there anyway to map these
      characters while escaping them (or something).

      TIA,
      Dave
    • Antony Scriven
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        On Jun 30, David Fishburn wrote:

        > Vim 6.3.75 WinXP SP2
        >
        > Standard usage:
        > :map <C-F1> :do something<CR>
        >
        > But what if you want to use the "<" and ">" keys in your map?
        >
        > Really I wanted CTRL->, but I do not believe we can use
        > that key since if I type:
        > :<C-V><C->> (^V, followed by ^>)
        > I do not get any output, so I assume this means I cannot
        > map that key.
        >
        > So I tried ALT->, using ^V I can see this has a value.
        > So I can map it using ^V and then the character.
        > However, I do not like doing this since it is not
        > particularily self documenting. Is there anyway to map
        > these characters while escaping them (or something).

        Try typing a ^V M-> in a buffer and then use ga to see what
        it is. Just a quick check: you are typing M-> and not M-.
        right? In gvim on W32 I find mapping <M-.> and <M->> works
        fine.

        Antony
      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005

          > On Jun 30, David Fishburn wrote:
          >
          > > Vim 6.3.75 WinXP SP2
          > >
          > > Standard usage:
          > > :map <C-F1> :do something<CR>
          > >
          > > But what if you want to use the "<" and ">" keys in your map?
          > >
          > > Really I wanted CTRL->, but I do not believe we can use >
          > that key since if I type:
          > > :<C-V><C->> (^V, followed by ^>)
          > > I do not get any output, so I assume this means I cannot
          > > map that key.
          > >
          > > So I tried ALT->, using ^V I can see this has a value.
          > > So I can map it using ^V and then the character.
          > > However, I do not like doing this since it is not >
          > particularily self documenting. Is there anyway to map >
          > these characters while escaping them (or something).
          >
          > Try typing a ^V M-> in a buffer and then use ga to see what
          > it is. Just a quick check: you are typing M-> and not M-.
          > right? In gvim on W32 I find mapping <M-.> and <M->> works fine.

          Thanks Antony.

          I added the following to my .vimrc:

          " These two characters are the ALT-< and ALT->.
          " To determine what character # these are go into insert mode
          " in a new buffer. Press CTRL-V then ALT and the > key.
          " Leave insert mode, move the cursor onto the character
          " and press ga. This will display the decimal, hex and octal
          " representation of the character. In this case, they are
          " 172 and 174.
          :map <Char-172> :do something<CR>
          :map <Char-174> :do something else<CR>

          Hopefully this might help someone else.