Where to find fonts?

  • Dave Roberts
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2005
      (Using WinXP)

      This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
      use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)

      I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
      as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
      byte:

      201 205 187
      186 186
      200 205 188

      If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
      box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
      one/fourth character in the lower right column.

      I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
      that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.

      Thanks,

      - Dave
    • Dave Roberts
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
        Johnny Blaze wrote:

        > On 6/18/05, *Dave Roberts* <dajaro@...
        > <mailto:dajaro@...>> wrote:
        >
        > (Using WinXP)
        >
        > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad -
        > But I
        > use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
        >
        > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS
        > graphics -
        > as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a
        > single
        > byte:
        >
        > 201 205 187
        > 186 186
        > 200 205 188
        >
        > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
        > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
        > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
        > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics
        > characters.
        >

        > Look for a font that supports the "Box Drawing" unicode block. Andale
        > Mono does a pretty good job.
        >
        > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe?download
        >
        > --
        >
        > . o O pyromancer O o .

        Not bad but not quite what I was looking for. Thanks though - gave me
        more places to look.

        - Dave
      • Dave Roberts
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
          Dave Roberts wrote:

          > (Using WinXP)
          >
          > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But
          > I use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
          >
          > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics
          > - as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a
          > single byte:
          >
          > 201 205 187
          > 186 186
          > 200 205 188
          >
          > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
          > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
          > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
          > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics
          > characters.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > - Dave

          In case anyone else is interested I found the MS Linedraw TrueType font at:

          http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=380

          - Dave
        • Jürgen Krämer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2005

            Dave Roberts wrote:
            > (Using WinXP)
            >
            > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
            > use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
            >
            > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
            > as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
            > byte:
            >
            > 201 205 187
            > 186 186
            > 200 205 188
            >
            > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
            > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
            > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
            > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.

            you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
            encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
            utf-8 are possible choices:

            :set encoding=cp850
            :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT

            After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
            is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by

            :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt

            If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with

            :set linespace=0

            Regards,
            Jürgen

            --
            Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung
            HABEL GmbH & Co. KG mailto:jkr@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2005
              Jürgen Krämer wrote:

              >Hi,
              >
              >Dave Roberts wrote:
              >

              >>(Using WinXP)
              >>
              >>This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
              >>use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
              >>
              >>I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
              >>as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
              >>byte:
              >>
              >>201 205 187
              >>186 186
              >>200 205 188
              >>
              >>If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
              >>box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
              >>one/fourth character in the lower right column.
              >>
              >>I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
              >>that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
              >>

              >you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
              >encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
              >utf-8 are possible choices:
              >
              > :set encoding=cp850
              > :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT
              >
              >After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
              >is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by
              >
              > :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt
              >
              >If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with
              >
              > :set linespace=0
              >
              >Regards,
              >Jürgen

              Sorry Jürgen,

              The file I accidently sent directly to you had an error in it.

              The above works perfectly for single lined boxes and double lined boxes
              but doesn't handle mixed boxes (see attached - type it in DOS or use MS
              Linedraw font to compare)

              Thanks,

              - Dave
            • Jürgen Krämer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 20, 2005

                Dave Roberts wrote:

                > Jürgen Krämer wrote:
                >
                > > Dave Roberts wrote:
                > >
                > > > (Using WinXP)
                > > >
                > > > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
                > > > use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
                > > >
                > > > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
                > > > as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
                > > > byte:
                > > >
                > > > 201 205 187
                > > > 186 186
                > > > 200 205 188
                > > >
                > > > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
                > > > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
                > > > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
                > > >
                > > > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
                > > > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
                > > >
                > > you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
                > > encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
                > > utf-8 are possible choices:
                > >
                > > :set encoding=cp850
                > > :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT
                > >
                > > After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
                > > is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by
                > >
                > > :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt
                > >
                > > If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with
                > >
                > > :set linespace=0
                >
                > That works well for the single lined boxes and almost right for the
                > doubly lined boxes but doesn't handle the mixed boxes (see attached -
                > type it out under DOS or use MS Linedraw font to compare)

                those mixed boxes are available in code page 437, so instead of cp850
                you can use cp437. Microsoft (or was it IBM?) replaced all combinations
                of single and double lines with more accented letters when ISO-8859/1
                (aka latin1) became more widespread (probably due to the increasing
                popularity of MS-Windows (which uses an ISO-8859/1-based encoding)) to
                allow an easy conversion between these encodings. They encompass the
                same set of characters though on different positions.

                Regards,
                Jürgen

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2005
                  Jürgen Krämer wrote:

                  >those mixed boxes are available in code page 437, so instead of cp850
                  >you can use cp437. Microsoft (or was it IBM?) replaced all combinations
                  >of single and double lines with more accented letters when ISO-8859/1
                  >(aka latin1) became more widespread (probably due to the increasing
                  >popularity of MS-Windows (which uses an ISO-8859/1-based encoding)) to
                  >allow an easy conversion between these encodings. They encompass the
                  >same set of characters though on different positions.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >Jürgen
                  >
                  >--
                  >Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung
                  >HABEL GmbH & Co. KG mailto:jkr@...
                  >Hinteres Öschle 2 Tel: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 15
                  >78604 Rietheim-Weilheim Fax: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 99

                  Now THAT is exactly what I was looking for.

                  Thanks!

                  - Dave
                • A. J. Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2005
                    Dave Roberts wrote:
                    > (Using WinXP)
                    >
                    > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
                    > use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
                    >
                    > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
                    > as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
                    > byte:
                    >
                    > 201 205 187
                    > 186 186
                    > 200 205 188
                    >
                    > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
                    > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
                    > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
                    >
                    > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
                    > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > - Dave

                    IIUC it's not a font problem but an encoding problem. Try

                    :e ++enc=cp437 filename.ext

                    (hoping your gvim knows how to read a file using codepage 437, which is
                    the "IBM DOS US" codepage with full box-drawing characters).