Re: vim startup is toooo slow..

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Peter Palm wrote:
      ["Naren N S (New)" <narenns@...> wrote:]
      >>Hi,
      >> I've just installed vim6.3 on a HP-UX machine. The problem
      >> with it is that it takes quite sometime to load. Please note that
      >> the installation was done using a regular user id and not root.
      >> Could somebody tell me what I can do to speed up the startup ??
      >

      > One of the reasons vim startup can be slow, is because it tries to
      > connect to your X server. Try unsetting $DISPLAY.
      >

      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Peter Palm

      ... or using the -X command-line argument. However, if your terminal
      name includes "cons" or "linux", no X connection should be made anyway.

      See
      :help -X
      :help 'clipboard'

    • Naren N S (NEW)
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2005
        Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim can take ? For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments and provides a "plit window" environment....
        Would be helpful if there is any listing on this ...

        Thanks,
        Naren
      • Chris Allen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2005
          On 04/05/05, Naren N S (NEW) <narenns@...> wrote:
          > Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim
          > can take ? For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments
          > and provides a "plit window" environment.... Would be helpful if
          > there is any listing on this ...

          The man page lists all the command line arguments, as does

          :help starting.txt

          HTH,
          Chris
        • A. J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2005
            Naren N S (NEW) wrote:

            > Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim can take ?
            > For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments and provides a "plit
            > window" environment....
            > Would be helpful if there is any listing on this ...
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Naren

            see ":help vim-arguments"

            HTH,