Re: vim startup is toooo slow..

  • Peter Palm
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      > Hi,
      > I've just installed vim6.3 on a HP-UX machine. The problem with it is that it takes quite sometime to load. Please note that the installation was done using a regular user id and not root. Could somebody tell me what I can do to speed up the startup ??

      One of the reasons vim startup can be slow, is because it tries to
      connect to your X server. Try unsetting $DISPLAY.

      Kind regards,

      Peter Palm
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Peter Palm wrote:
        ["Naren N S (New)" <narenns@...> wrote:]
        >>Hi,
        >> I've just installed vim6.3 on a HP-UX machine. The problem
        >> with it is that it takes quite sometime to load. Please note that
        >> the installation was done using a regular user id and not root.
        >> Could somebody tell me what I can do to speed up the startup ??
        >

        > One of the reasons vim startup can be slow, is because it tries to
        > connect to your X server. Try unsetting $DISPLAY.
        >

        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Peter Palm

        ... or using the -X command-line argument. However, if your terminal
        name includes "cons" or "linux", no X connection should be made anyway.

        See
        :help -X
        :help 'clipboard'

      • Naren N S (NEW)
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2005
          Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim can take ? For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments and provides a "plit window" environment....
          Would be helpful if there is any listing on this ...

          Thanks,
          Naren
        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2005
            On 04/05/05, Naren N S (NEW) <narenns@...> wrote:
            > Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim
            > can take ? For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments
            > and provides a "plit window" environment.... Would be helpful if
            > there is any listing on this ...

            The man page lists all the command line arguments, as does

            :help starting.txt

            HTH,
            Chris
          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2005
              Naren N S (NEW) wrote:

              > Is there any listing of all the command line arguments that vim can take ?
              > For example, vim -o allows multiple files as arguments and provides a "plit
              > window" environment....
              > Would be helpful if there is any listing on this ...
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Naren

              see ":help vim-arguments"

              HTH,