How does GVIM decide the current language of menus/messages?

  • adah@netstd.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:25 PM
      I ask this because when I installed Vim with the default language set to
      Simplified Chinese on an English Windows XP Pro box, the menus and
      messages have always been in Chinese. When I set the default language
      to English (in Regional Setting) and reboot, Vim still wants to display
      Chinese (unsuccessfully: it just output GB2312 codes blindly to a Latin1
      GUI), unless I explicitly set an environment variable LANG=en. I even
      reinstalled Vim under default language English with no satisfying
      result.

      So I want to know how does GVIM decide the current language? I cannot
      find a suitable registry key nor a configuration file to change. Any
      guru here can help?

      Best regards,

      Yongwei
    • Marian Csontos
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 12:13 AM
        try :lang
        I met with similar problem some itme ago on czech|slovak windows.
        Not sure, probably it has something to do with installation.

        -- Marian

        --
        Mgr. Marián Csontos
        programátor POS

        ________ Information from NOD32 ________
        http://www.nod32.com
      • adah@netstd.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 4:49 PM
          Thanks for the tip. Now I see that Vim judges the language according to
          the result returned by setlocal(LC_ALL, ""), if LANG is not defined. This
          value is not decided by the system locale setting (encoding for
          non-Unicode applications), but rather the "regional setting (location)"
          selected.

          So, if I use the Latin1 encoding, but set the regional setting to China
          (for the currency, time, etc. setting), Vim will choke.

          Best regards,

          Yongwei

          "Marian Csontos" <csontos@...>
          2005-05-02 15:13