Re: few issues

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      antti wrote:
      > I have mappings:
      > inoremap { {<CR>}<C-O>O
      > inoremap [ []<LEFT>
      > inoremap ( ()<LEFT>
      > inoremap " ""<LEFT>
      > inoremap ' ''<LEFT>
      > ...in my .vimrc. This all works fine with regular vim but with gvim the
      > { doesn't give me the closing }. Also in gvim If I insert ' I get '' but
      > then when I want to delete the first ' and hit backspace (in insert mode
      > right after typing ') it just won't do that. This is just with gvim, vim
      > works correctly.

      check the 'backspace' (and 'compatible') options.
      > I would also like to know if it's possible to make the scrollbar only
      > scroll where there is some content (gvim). Now it scrolls as far as
      > half-screen down with empty lines (marked as ~ ). What I really want is
      > that the scroll bar would act as usual scrollbars do: the longer the
      > text the smaller the scrollbar, without showing the empty lines. Now
      > it's allways the same size.
      > The OS is macosx, if it matters....
      > --antti

      It is a Vim constant that the scrollbar allows scrolling until the
      _bottom_ line of the file is at the _top_ of the window. That is, AFAIK,
      not changeable. Screen lines beyond the end of the file (also when the
      file is too short to fill the window) are indicated by tildes, usually
      in blue. It is not possible to scroll the _top_ line of the file lower
      than the top of the window.

      In my W32 gvim, the scrollbar thumb shows what percentage of the total
      (file size + one window height - 1) is visible in the window (down to a
      certain minimum size: AFAICT, it never reduces to less than a millimeter
      or so). The thumb is the whole height of the window when there is only
      one line in the file.

      What kind of GUI do you use? (Mac Classic [is that what is called
      Carbon? I'm not sure], or on X11 for MacOsX: X11 with GTK+1, X11/Athena,
      X11/Motif, X11/GTK+2, ...) The answer to the ":version" command should
      tell you, there are two lines near the top with the word "version" in
      them: one of them (usually the second line) says for which OS family
      this Vim was compiled; another one (usually fourth or fifth) gives which
      set of features (from tiny to huge) was included and, for X11 gvim,
      which particular GUI interface. How scrollbars react may be a function
      of which particular GUI was included at compile-time, and for which
      particular OS.