ANN: cvsmenu.vim updated

  • Wu Yongwei
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2005
      The latest version can be found here:

      http://wyw.dcweb.cn/cvsmenu.vim.txt

      or the SourceForge CVS:

      :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/ezytools/VimTools/cvsmenu.vim

      I am not the original author of cvsmenu.vim. Although Mr Maerz allowed me
      to maintain cvsmenu.vim in the EzyTools CVS, I was not able to contact him
      later to release a new version, and the Vim site does not allow someone
      other than the original author to release a script currrently. So I can
      only announce it here (is it allowed?).

      My changes are:

      * Correct some time-related issues so that unchanged files will not be
      wrongly recognized as modified
      * Fix the no longer correct CVS root (so update inside Vim works again)
      * Make escaping of special characters correct in log messages
      * Fix other minor bugs

      CAUTION: From the discussion about shellxquote etc. these days, it should
      be understood that if the shell is (Cygwin) BASH, gVIM for Windows cannot
      correctly pass special characters like "\"" and "&" to cvs (as the log
      message).

      Best regards,

      Yongwei
    • t. scott urban
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
        On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:49 +0800, Wu Yongwei wrote:
        > The latest version can be found here:
        >
        > http://wyw.dcweb.cn/cvsmenu.vim.txt
        >
        > or the SourceForge CVS:
        >
        > :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/ezytools/VimTools/cvsmenu.vim

        First, I use and like the plugin. A question for you or the original
        author: why do you put spaces in the menu items? I'm sure there must be
        a reason, but a side effect is that extra tabs are required when using
        the menus via 'emenu'. This may depend on wildmode settings - I'm using
        longest,list:longest,full.

        For example, the space-less File menu allows me to type:

        :emenu Fi<tab><tab

        To get the contents of the file menu. The CVS menu on the other hand
        requires an extra tab-press to see its contents:

        The first completes to CVS., the second adds the escaped space, and the
        3rd lists the contents. Repeat for each sub-menu - they also have
        escaped spaces.

        The default menus and menus from other plugins I've used don't do this,
        so I'm really curious what the rational for the escaped spaces is.

        --
        t. scott urban <scottu@...>
      • Wu Yongwei
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2005
          I do not see a good reason, though I did not feel your difficulty before,
          since I did not set `longest' in wim. In fact, I think removing the spaces
          you mentioned might be a good idea. I'll try to contact Mr Maerz again. If
          there is no response or he agrees to your suggestion, I'll change it in
          CVS.

          To Bram and the site maintainers: If Mr Maerz is not reachable, is it
          possible that I can release new versions to the script? Or do I have to
          make a new script in order to release?

          Best regards,

          Yongwei

          "t. scott urban" <scottu@...>
          2005-03-18 13:06

          To: Wu Yongwei <adah@...>
          CC: vim@...
          Subject: Re: ANN: cvsmenu.vim updated

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
            Mr Maerz told me the spaces were to inhibit translation and to prevent the
            hot keys from being altered (I personally find the latter very annoying:
            the hot key for Delete is "e", but when I remove the space and the menu
            items are translated into Chinese, it becomes "d" and conflicts with
            Diff). In fact, the comment in the script mentioned this.

            The new release (1.96) moves the spaces after the menu items so you should
            feel better now. The other fix is about the correct handling of special
            characters "&", "<", ">", "|", and "^" when shell is cmd.exe and
            shellxquote is \". It is here:

            http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1245

            Best regards,

            Yongwei