Re: Autoreload the file opened for viewing when it is changed by external app

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
      Jürgen Krämer wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Halim, Salman wrote:
      >
      >>The option 'autoread' works for all files, blindly.
      >

      >>From :help 'autoread'
      >
      > | 'autoread' 'ar' boolean (default off)
      > | global or local to buffer |global-local|
      > | {not in Vi}
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jürgen

      Yes, sure; but the OP wanted it on for all 'readonly' files and off for
      all 'noreadonly' files; and I don't see an easy way to toggle 'autoread'
      whenever 'readonly' changes, be it by ":view", ":set[local]
      [no]readonly", editing a file which is readonly on disk (R attribute on
      in Windows or w permission off on Unix), etc.

    • Keith Roberts
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005

        How about ...

        :bufdo if &ro | setl ar | endif

        As well as ...

        au BufNewFile,BufRead * if &ro | setl ar | endif

        -Keith
      • Valery Kondakoff
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
          Hello, A.!

          Friday, March 4, 2005, 9:43:07 AM, you wrote:

          AJM> Yes, sure; but the OP wanted it on for all 'readonly' files and off for
          AJM> all 'noreadonly' files; and I don't see an easy way to toggle 'autoread'
          AJM> whenever 'readonly' changes, be it by ":view", ":set[local]
          AJM> [no]readonly", editing a file which is readonly on disk (R attribute on
          AJM> in Windows or w permission off on Unix), etc.

          Hmm... Excuse me, please, if I was not clear enough. My goal was to to
          force gVim to constantly monitor the modification time of the opened
          file if it was open as read-only. File should be reloaded immediately
          after the modification time is changed.

          After some experimenting I can say that I was unable to do this. For
          example, I have a txt-file, that is changed every 5 seconds. If I open
          this file in an editor/viewer, that supports real-time updating of the
          file contents (like BareTail) I can see the changes.

          Now, I'm adding this line to my '_vimrc':

          au FileChangedShell * e!

          After restarting gVim, I was hoping, that now I can open my text file
          in gVim and monitor the changes in real-time. But the file is not
          reloaded until I move the focus out from the gVim window and then
          bring it back. The modification time of the file is changed every five
          seconds (I see this in my file manager). I was trying to set 'ar' and
          'noar' but this does not helps...

          The contents of the file is not updated automatically even when I'm
          starting gVim with '-u NONE' command line switch and enter the ':au
          FileChangedShell * e!' manually.

          Please, help me understand what am I doing wrong! (gVim 6.3 and 7.0aa,
          WinXP SP2)

          Thank you!

          Valery Kondakoff mailto:strauss@...

          np: Client: Come On (City)