Re: Receiving ouput of shell command in vimscript howto

  • Shaw Vrana
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
      > On 2005-03-02, Arun Easi <aeasi@...> wrote:
      > let myfile=substitute(system('find . -name '.myfile), "\n", "", "")

      A bunch of helpful answers here. I had not known of the 'system' command-
      this will come in very handy. Thanks you all for helping me further along
      the learning curve!

      The system() call is mentioned in chapter 27 of Qualine's good Vim book, but I
      apparently cannot read. :(

      Thanks,
      Shaw
    • jamessan@jamessan.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:46:41AM -0800, Shaw Vrana wrote:
        > > On 2005-03-02, Arun Easi <aeasi@...> wrote:
        > > let myfile=substitute(system('find . -name '.myfile), "\n", "", "")
        >
        > A bunch of helpful answers here. I had not known of the 'system' command-
        > this will come in very handy. Thanks you all for helping me further along
        > the learning curve!
        >
        > The system() call is mentioned in chapter 27 of Qualine's good Vim book, but I
        > apparently cannot read. :(

        You can also access an alphabetical list of functions via:

        :help functions

        or grouped by what they're used for:

        :help function-list

        That may (and probably does) have functions that aren't listed in the
        Vim book.

        James