Re: Receiving ouput of shell command in vimscript howto

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
      On 2005-03-02, Arun Easi <aeasi@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Shaw Vrana wrote:

      > > I'd like to hold the output of a shell command in a local variable. I'm
      > > trying to do something like this:
      > >
      > > let myfile = silent exec '!find . -name' myfile
      > >
      > > Here I'm interested in the output of find, and not the return value of find.
      > > (Though I would also be curious to know if I can determine the return value
      > > as well, though this isn't essential- I'm sure I'll be wondering how to do
      > > that soon enough. ;)
      > >
      > > :help suggestions greatly appreciated.

      > let myfile=system('find . -name '.myfile)

      That's what I usually do, too, except that I also use substitute()
      to remove the trailing newline from the output:

      let myfile=substitute(system('find . -name '.myfile), "\n", "", "")

      :help substitute()

      HTH,
      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
      | Spokane, Washington, USA
    • Shaw Vrana
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
        > On 2005-03-02, Arun Easi <aeasi@...> wrote:
        > let myfile=substitute(system('find . -name '.myfile), "\n", "", "")

        A bunch of helpful answers here. I had not known of the 'system' command-
        this will come in very handy. Thanks you all for helping me further along
        the learning curve!

        The system() call is mentioned in chapter 27 of Qualine's good Vim book, but I
        apparently cannot read. :(

        Thanks,
        Shaw
      • jamessan@jamessan.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
          On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:46:41AM -0800, Shaw Vrana wrote:
          > > On 2005-03-02, Arun Easi <aeasi@...> wrote:
          > > let myfile=substitute(system('find . -name '.myfile), "\n", "", "")
          >
          > A bunch of helpful answers here. I had not known of the 'system' command-
          > this will come in very handy. Thanks you all for helping me further along
          > the learning curve!
          >
          > The system() call is mentioned in chapter 27 of Qualine's good Vim book, but I
          > apparently cannot read. :(

          You can also access an alphabetical list of functions via:

          :help functions

          or grouped by what they're used for:

          :help function-list

          That may (and probably does) have functions that aren't listed in the
          Vim book.

          James