Re: Alt-q emacs available in vim? latex question

  • jamessan@jamessan.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Carlos Beltran wrote:

      > A laboratory colleague has just shown me how
      > to reformat a latex paragraph with the command
      > alt-q under emacs. I could not answer if such
      > a command exist under gvim. Does something
      > similar exist??

      I'm not sure what type of formatting that does, but you may want to look
      into the 'gq' command. You can rewrap a paragraph via 'gqap'.

      Check out the following help sections for a more detailed explanation.

      :help gq
      :help ap
      :help text-objects

      HTH,

      James

    • Carlos Beltran
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
        It formats the paragraph to stay into the textwidth. And yes,
        gq options work perfectly, moreover I have discovered the autoformat
        option "set fo+=a" that works great!.

        Thanks people!

        > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Carlos Beltran wrote:
        > >
        > > A laboratory colleague has just shown me how
        > > to reformat a latex paragraph with the command
        > > alt-q under emacs. I could not answer if such
        > > a command exist under gvim. Does something
        > > similar exist??
        >
        > I'm not sure what type of formatting that does, but you may want to look
        > into the 'gq' command. You can rewrap a paragraph via 'gqap'.
        >
        > Check out the following help sections for a more detailed explanation.
        >
        > :help gq
        > :help ap
        > :help text-objects
        >
        > HTH,
        >
        > James
        >
        > --
        > GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>

      • Carlos Beltran
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
          Hello All,

          I have not been able to find
          the way to map the right window key
          in my keyboard to work as the right
          ctrl. I touch type and for me is really
          difficult to arrive to the right control
          key with my right little finger. Is there
          a way to map the right windows key or at least
          the alt-gr key into the right-control key?

          As this probably is OS dependent I must say
          that I am using windows 2000.

          Thank you very much

          Carlos.
        • A. J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
            Carlos Beltran wrote:
            > Hello All,
            >
            > I have not been able to find
            > the way to map the right window key
            > in my keyboard to work as the right
            > ctrl. I touch type and for me is really
            > difficult to arrive to the right control
            > key with my right little finger. Is there
            > a way to map the right windows key or at least
            > the alt-gr key into the right-control key?
            >
            > As this probably is OS dependent I must say
            > that I am using windows 2000.
            >
            > Thank you very much
            >
            > Carlos.

            I don't think Vim can do it but there are Microsoft utilities which can
            do it; they are usually not installed with Windows, you have to get them
            separately from the Microsoft site.

          • Dylan Doolittle
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 13 6:01 PM
              I want to create text files that are tagged and linked to each other just like vim help files (see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Browsing_programs_with_tags). I am not the first who wants to do this, see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_your_note_files_to_Vim_help or http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/making-your-own-tagfile-td1191896.html or http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html or http://pnotepad.org/docs/howto/tag_custom_languages/ but the two commonly accepted solutions don't work for me: (1) Learn how to define a new language in ctags, which is beyond my skill; and (2) just write your text files as part of vim help and compile using the :helptags command.

              I know enough ctags that I can run a command like this in a directory with all my text files:

              ctags -R --langdef=mynotes --langmap=mynotes:.mnt --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ .

              but --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ is my concoction and doesn't really work. What does :helptags use? In emacs, it's really easy to find out what a command does. I don't know how to do this in vi. Under the hood, it must use a ctags command, but I can't find the source so that I can emulate it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 14 2:22 AM
                On 14/09/14 03:01, Dylan Doolittle wrote:
                > I want to create text files that are tagged and linked to each other just like vim help files (see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Browsing_programs_with_tags). I am not the first who wants to do this, see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_your_note_files_to_Vim_help or http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/making-your-own-tagfile-td1191896.html or http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html or http://pnotepad.org/docs/howto/tag_custom_languages/ but the two commonly accepted solutions don't work for me: (1) Learn how to define a new language in ctags, which is beyond my skill; and (2) just write your text files as part of vim help and compile using the :helptags command.
                >
                > I know enough ctags that I can run a command like this in a directory with all my text files:
                >
                > ctags -R --langdef=mynotes --langmap=mynotes:.mnt --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ .
                >
                > but --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ is my concoction and doesn't really work. What does :helptags use? In emacs, it's really easy to find out what a command does. I don't know how to do this in vi. Under the hood, it must use a ctags command, but I can't find the source so that I can emulate it.

                AFAIK, under the hood Vim does not invoke an external ctags utility, it
                has its own tag searching routines in C code. Tags (destinations of
                hotlinks) are defined IIUC as any word between asterisks, where words
                are defined (I think) by the 'isk' setting in the modeline at the bottom
                of $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt

                See also:
                :help bars
                $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/help.vim and in particular the entries for
                helpHyperTextEntry at lines 22-30.

                and if you have the Vim source: src/tag.c

                There was a young fellow named Bliss
                Whose sex life was strangely amiss,
                For even with Venus
                His recalcitrant penis