Alt-q emacs available in vim? latex question

  • Carlos Beltran
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      A laboratory colleague has just shown me how
      to reformat a latex paragraph with the command
      alt-q under emacs. I could not answer if such
      a command exist under gvim. Does something
      similar exist??

      Thanks.

      Carlos.
    • jamessan@jamessan.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Carlos Beltran wrote:

        > A laboratory colleague has just shown me how
        > to reformat a latex paragraph with the command
        > alt-q under emacs. I could not answer if such
        > a command exist under gvim. Does something
        > similar exist??

        I'm not sure what type of formatting that does, but you may want to look
        into the 'gq' command. You can rewrap a paragraph via 'gqap'.

        Check out the following help sections for a more detailed explanation.

        :help gq
        :help ap
        :help text-objects

        HTH,

        James

      • Carlos Beltran
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
          It formats the paragraph to stay into the textwidth. And yes,
          gq options work perfectly, moreover I have discovered the autoformat
          option "set fo+=a" that works great!.

          Thanks people!

          > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Carlos Beltran wrote:
          > >
          > > A laboratory colleague has just shown me how
          > > to reformat a latex paragraph with the command
          > > alt-q under emacs. I could not answer if such
          > > a command exist under gvim. Does something
          > > similar exist??
          >
          > I'm not sure what type of formatting that does, but you may want to look
          > into the 'gq' command. You can rewrap a paragraph via 'gqap'.
          >
          > Check out the following help sections for a more detailed explanation.
          >
          > :help gq
          > :help ap
          > :help text-objects
          >
          > HTH,
          >
          > James
          >
          > --
          > GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>

        • Carlos Beltran
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
            Hello All,

            I have not been able to find
            the way to map the right window key
            in my keyboard to work as the right
            ctrl. I touch type and for me is really
            difficult to arrive to the right control
            key with my right little finger. Is there
            a way to map the right windows key or at least
            the alt-gr key into the right-control key?

            As this probably is OS dependent I must say
            that I am using windows 2000.

            Thank you very much

            Carlos.
          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
              Carlos Beltran wrote:
              > Hello All,
              >
              > I have not been able to find
              > the way to map the right window key
              > in my keyboard to work as the right
              > ctrl. I touch type and for me is really
              > difficult to arrive to the right control
              > key with my right little finger. Is there
              > a way to map the right windows key or at least
              > the alt-gr key into the right-control key?
              >
              > As this probably is OS dependent I must say
              > that I am using windows 2000.
              >
              > Thank you very much
              >
              > Carlos.

              I don't think Vim can do it but there are Microsoft utilities which can
              do it; they are usually not installed with Windows, you have to get them
              separately from the Microsoft site.

            • Dylan Doolittle
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2014
                I want to create text files that are tagged and linked to each other just like vim help files (see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Browsing_programs_with_tags). I am not the first who wants to do this, see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_your_note_files_to_Vim_help or http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/making-your-own-tagfile-td1191896.html or http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html or http://pnotepad.org/docs/howto/tag_custom_languages/ but the two commonly accepted solutions don't work for me: (1) Learn how to define a new language in ctags, which is beyond my skill; and (2) just write your text files as part of vim help and compile using the :helptags command.

                I know enough ctags that I can run a command like this in a directory with all my text files:

                ctags -R --langdef=mynotes --langmap=mynotes:.mnt --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ .

                but --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ is my concoction and doesn't really work. What does :helptags use? In emacs, it's really easy to find out what a command does. I don't know how to do this in vi. Under the hood, it must use a ctags command, but I can't find the source so that I can emulate it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 14, 2014
                  On 14/09/14 03:01, Dylan Doolittle wrote:
                  > I want to create text files that are tagged and linked to each other just like vim help files (see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Browsing_programs_with_tags). I am not the first who wants to do this, see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_your_note_files_to_Vim_help or http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/making-your-own-tagfile-td1191896.html or http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html or http://pnotepad.org/docs/howto/tag_custom_languages/ but the two commonly accepted solutions don't work for me: (1) Learn how to define a new language in ctags, which is beyond my skill; and (2) just write your text files as part of vim help and compile using the :helptags command.
                  >
                  > I know enough ctags that I can run a command like this in a directory with all my text files:
                  >
                  > ctags -R --langdef=mynotes --langmap=mynotes:.mnt --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ .
                  >
                  > but --regex-salsa=/\\*\(.+\)\\*/\1/ is my concoction and doesn't really work. What does :helptags use? In emacs, it's really easy to find out what a command does. I don't know how to do this in vi. Under the hood, it must use a ctags command, but I can't find the source so that I can emulate it.

                  AFAIK, under the hood Vim does not invoke an external ctags utility, it
                  has its own tag searching routines in C code. Tags (destinations of
                  hotlinks) are defined IIUC as any word between asterisks, where words
                  are defined (I think) by the 'isk' setting in the modeline at the bottom
                  of $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt

                  See also:
                  :help bars
                  $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/help.vim and in particular the entries for
                  helpHyperTextEntry at lines 22-30.

                  and if you have the Vim source: src/tag.c

                  There was a young fellow named Bliss
                  Whose sex life was strangely amiss,
                  For even with Venus
                  His recalcitrant penis