Re: Out of memeory error at UTF-8 editing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:

      > I can't pin-point the exact characteritics of the document but some type
      > of UTF-8 text file(*) with mixed English and Japanese content displays
      > the <xx><yy> forms for non-English characters, and after a few moments,
      > it generates
      >
      > Out of memory (4294967248 bytes requested) --- actually in Japanese
      >
      > then gvim hangs.
      >
      > I use Vim 6.3.062 on Fedora Core 3 with Gnome desktop.
      >
      > (*:e.g. An old .vimrc file converted to UTF-8 which gedit and OpenOffice
      > can handle normally.)
      >
      > Will you give some help if you could.

      I'm afraid I have no clue why this would happen. Best is to compile Vim
      for debugging, run it in a debugger and find out where that error
      message is produced.

      260. Co-workers have to E-mail you about the fire alarm to get
      you out of the building.

    • Hiroshi Iwatani
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        After I added these entries explicitly in my .vimrc,
        the dreadful phenomenon disappeared.

        set encoding=japan
        set fileencodings=utf-8,euc-jp,sjis

        My guess is iconv bug or that of its calling procedure
        on Vim side. ...Kind of an infinite search making an huge
        search space?...

        --
        Hiroshi Iwatani

        *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
        including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
        your country? *for our better karma*
        ---------------------
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:

          > After I added these entries explicitly in my .vimrc,
          > the dreadful phenomenon disappeared.
          >
          > set encoding=japan
          > set fileencodings=utf-8,euc-jp,sjis
          >
          > My guess is iconv bug or that of its calling procedure
          > on Vim side. ...Kind of an infinite search making an huge
          > search space?...

          It's indeed possible that there is a problem with conversion. Can you
          see what the values for 'encoding' and 'fileencodings' are when the
          problem appears? Does it only happen when you edit a file? Did you try
          skipping loading of plugins?

          --
          There is a fine line between courage and foolishness.
          Unfortunately, it's not a fence.