Out of memeory error at UTF-8 editing

  • Hiroshi Iwatani
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      I can't pin-point the exact characteritics of the document but some type
      of UTF-8 text file(*) with mixed English and Japanese content displays
      the <xx><yy> forms for non-English characters, and after a few moments,
      it generates

      Out of memory (4294967248 bytes requested) --- actually in Japanese

      then gvim hangs.

      I use Vim 6.3.062 on Fedora Core 3 with Gnome desktop.

      (*:e.g. An old .vimrc file converted to UTF-8 which gedit and OpenOffice
      can handle normally.)

      Will you give some help if you could.

      TIA

      --
      Hiroshi Iwatani

      *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
      including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
      your country? *for our better karma*
      ---------------------
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:

        > I can't pin-point the exact characteritics of the document but some type
        > of UTF-8 text file(*) with mixed English and Japanese content displays
        > the <xx><yy> forms for non-English characters, and after a few moments,
        > it generates
        >
        > Out of memory (4294967248 bytes requested) --- actually in Japanese
        >
        > then gvim hangs.
        >
        > I use Vim 6.3.062 on Fedora Core 3 with Gnome desktop.
        >
        > (*:e.g. An old .vimrc file converted to UTF-8 which gedit and OpenOffice
        > can handle normally.)
        >
        > Will you give some help if you could.

        I'm afraid I have no clue why this would happen. Best is to compile Vim
        for debugging, run it in a debugger and find out where that error
        message is produced.

        260. Co-workers have to E-mail you about the fire alarm to get
        you out of the building.

      • Hiroshi Iwatani
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          After I added these entries explicitly in my .vimrc,
          the dreadful phenomenon disappeared.

          set encoding=japan
          set fileencodings=utf-8,euc-jp,sjis

          My guess is iconv bug or that of its calling procedure
          on Vim side. ...Kind of an infinite search making an huge
          search space?...

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:

            > After I added these entries explicitly in my .vimrc,
            > the dreadful phenomenon disappeared.
            >
            > set encoding=japan
            > set fileencodings=utf-8,euc-jp,sjis
            >
            > My guess is iconv bug or that of its calling procedure
            > on Vim side. ...Kind of an infinite search making an huge
            > search space?...

            It's indeed possible that there is a problem with conversion. Can you
            see what the values for 'encoding' and 'fileencodings' are when the
            problem appears? Does it only happen when you edit a file? Did you try
            skipping loading of plugins?

            --
            There is a fine line between courage and foolishness.
            Unfortunately, it's not a fence.