Re: todo.txt questions

  • drchip@campbellfamily.biz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28 1:06 PM
      I believe Bram asked what "screen scraping" meant. So here's a definition
      from http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/screen-scraping.html :

      screen scraping: v.

      The act of capturing data from a system or program by snooping the contents
      of some display that is not actually intended for data transport or inspection
      by programs. Around 1980 this term referred to tricks like reading the display
      memory of a smart terminal through its auxiliary port. Nowadays it often refers
      to parsing the HTML in generated web pages with programs designed to mine out
      particular patterns of content. In either guise screen-scraping is an ugly,
      ad-hoc, last-resort technique that is very likely to break on even minor
      changes to the format of the data being snooped.

      FYI!
      Chip Campbell
    • Scott C
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- drchip@... wrote:

        > I believe Bram asked what "screen scraping" meant.
        > So here's a definition
        > from

        http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/screen-scraping.html
        > :
        >
        > screen scraping: v.
        >
        > The act of capturing data from a system or
        > program by snooping the contents
        > of some display that is not actually intended for
        > data transport or inspection
        > by programs. Around 1980 this term referred to
        > tricks like reading the display
        > memory of a smart terminal through its auxiliary
        > port. Nowadays it often refers
        > to parsing the HTML in generated web pages with
        > programs designed to mine out
        > particular patterns of content. In either guise
        > screen-scraping is an ugly,
        > ad-hoc, last-resort technique that is very likely to
        > break on even minor
        > changes to the format of the data being snooped.
        >
        > FYI!
        > Chip Campbell

        screen scraping was quite common in the 80's and 90's
        -- a lot of old cobol programs wrote their output to
        CICS terminals, and in liu of modifying the code to
        output to more intelligent devices, we had screen
        scrapers that would read it right off the screen, then
        pipe it through the network to a pretty gui of our own
        design -- it was a kludge, but it worked and saved us
        having to modify some very fragile and quirky old code
        .
        i used to use one by a company named Easel -- dunno if
        they're still around
        .
        had to get my 2� in

        scott