Commented Tags

  • Vigil
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2005
      It is a shame vim can't skip jumping to tags (specifically, function
      definitions) that have been commented out...

      --

      .
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2005
        Vigil wrote:

        > It is a shame vim can't skip jumping to tags (specifically, function
        > definitions) that have been commented out...

        That's actually something for the program that generates the tags file.

        224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
        of your kids... and your pets.

      • Vigil
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2005
          Well, I thought someone might know of a plug-in that checks before jumping.

          (BTW thankyou very much for vim!)

          On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |Vim| wrote:

          > Vigil wrote:
          >
          >> It is a shame vim can't skip jumping to tags (specifically, function
          >> definitions) that have been commented out...
          >
          > That's actually something for the program that generates the tags file.

          --

          .
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2005
            Vigil wrote:
            > Well, I thought someone might know of a plug-in that checks before jumping.
            >
            > (BTW thankyou very much for vim!)
            >
            > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Bram Moolenaar Bram-at-moolenaar.net |Vim| wrote:
            >

            >> Vigil wrote:
            >>
            >>> It is a shame vim can't skip jumping to tags (specifically, function
            >>> definitions) that have been commented out...
            >>

            >> That's actually something for the program that generates the tags file.

            In principle, if the file which contains the tags has been modified, the
            corresponding tagfile should be regenerated. Similarly, if a Vim help
            file has been added or updated, ":helptags" should be run on the
            corresponding directory.

            To avoid forgetting the tags update, I recommend regenerating the
            tagfile immediately after the update of the files containing tags.

            An alternative procedure, if those files are source files for a compile,
            would be to add in your makefile a rule for the tagfile (with
            dependencies on all files containing tags); then you can either have the
            binary depend on the tagfile, or include the tagfile in some other
            rule(s) (for instance "make all" and/or "make install" etc. depending on
            your makefile). Then make will regenerate the tagfile if needed, when a
            rule that depends on it is invoked.

          • Gary Holloway
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2005
              If using C (OP didn't specify), try using #if NEVER ... #endif to
              "comment out" the routine (note: do NOT use #if 0; ctags will recognize
              that).

              By doing so, ctags will still recognize the code as valid, and tag it.
              But (assuming you haven't defined NEVER!) the code will not be compiled.

              -gary