Evim guide.

  • John Culleton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      I am writing an e-book for those still stuck in MSWord-land. I want to use
      Evim as a bridge between the familiar and the unfamiliar.

      The help says that the equivalent of gq is now Q. But if Evim is alway in
      insert mode how is that activated?

      Many of the menu bar icons are inapplicable to Evim mode. Has anyone put
      together a simplified menu.vim specifically for evim?

      Is it correct to say that most of the remaining functions of Evim are
      activated in the same way as their MSWord equivalents? (I seldom use MSWord,
      and always take a shower afterward.)

      The idea of course is to use Evim just as an editor and transfer the
      typesetting and layout functions to TeX.
      --
      John Culleton
      Short list of publishing/marketing books:
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
        On Tuesday 01 February 2005 19:23, John Culleton wrote:
        > I am writing an e-book for those still stuck in MSWord-land. I want to use
        > Evim as a bridge between the familiar and the unfamiliar.
        >
        > The help says that the equivalent of gq is now Q. But if Evim is alway in
        > insert mode how is that activated?

        Since this question did not elicit a response in a larger post let me aske it
        again. HOw do I use Q if I am in fact always in insert mode?
        --
        John Culleton
      • Wu Yongwei
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
          Select the range with the normal way (Shift + Move), then press Q.

          Best regards,

          Yongwei

          John Culleton <john@...>
          2005-02-28 10:29

          To: vim@...
          CC:
          Subject: Re: Evim guide.

        • panshizhu@routon.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
            use Ctrl-O to enter normal mode temporately.

            so, you can use Ctrl-O Q in EVIM.

            --
            Sincerely
            Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

            John Culleton <john@...> wrote on 2005-02-28 10:29:12:

            > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 19:23, John Culleton wrote:
            > > I am writing an e-book for those still stuck in MSWord-land. I want to
            use
            > > Evim as a bridge between the familiar and the unfamiliar.
            > >
            > > The help says that the equivalent of gq is now Q. But if Evim is alway
            in
            > > insert mode how is that activated?
            >
            > Since this question did not elicit a response in a larger post let me
            aske it
            > again. HOw do I use Q if I am in fact always in insert mode?
            > --
            > John Culleton

          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
              John Culleton wrote:
              > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 19:23, John Culleton wrote:
              >
              >>I am writing an e-book for those still stuck in MSWord-land. I want to use
              >>Evim as a bridge between the familiar and the unfamiliar.
              >>
              >>The help says that the equivalent of gq is now Q. But if Evim is alway in
              >>insert mode how is that activated?
              >

              > Since this question did not elicit a response in a larger post let me aske it
              > again. HOw do I use Q if I am in fact always in insert mode?

              IIUC, even in Evim you can use Ctrl-O which will execute one command in
              Normal mode.

              You can also use Ctrl-L to switch to Normal mode, after which Escape
              reverts to Insert mode.

              see
              :help ins-special-special
              :help i_CTRL-O
              :help 'insertmode'

              HTH,
              Tony.
            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
                Wu Yongwei wrote:
                > Select the range with the normal way (Shift + Move), then press Q.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Yongwei

                Warning: if 'selectmode' includes "key", this will replace the selection
                with the letter Q, not reformat text.