Re: vimscript question

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      On 2005-02-01, vim@... wrote:
      > Thanks Gary and Antoine for the replies. I have integrated Gary's
      > screen and cursor save/restore code into my function. Now if I call the
      > function using a call like
      > :10,20call CM("text")
      > or as a command like this:
      > :10,20CM text
      >
      > The cursor ends up on the line that begins the search range, in this
      > case line 10. Could it be that vim is positioning the cursor prior to
      > calling my function so my code thinks the start range is the current
      > cursor position?

      That would be my guess. In fact, ":help :call" (just above ":help
      function-range-example") says:

      Without a range and for functions that accept a range, the
      function is called once. When a range is given the cursor is
      positioned at the start of the first line before executing the
      function.

      You might try another approach. How about defining your CM command
      to take a range and then passing that range explicitly to your
      function. Then define the function _without_ the range argument,
      but something like this:

      function CM(pattern, firstline, lastline)

      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | Wireless Division