Re: vimscript question

  • vim@useunix.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Thanks Gary and Antoine for the replies. I have integrated Gary's
      screen and cursor save/restore code into my function. Now if I call the
      function using a call like
      :10,20call CM("text")
      or as a command like this:
      :10,20CM text

      The cursor ends up on the line that begins the search range, in this
      case line 10. Could it be that vim is positioning the cursor prior to
      calling my function so my code thinks the start range is the current
      cursor position?

      Thanks again,
      Wayne

      On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:53:15AM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > On 2005-02-01, vim@... wrote:
      >
      > > ... Basically I want to call this function, have it do its job
      > > and then have the cursor placed back at the position where I
      > > called the function. ...
      >
      > In addition to what Tony said, you'll find that moving the cursor
      > back to its original location isn't sufficient to restore the screen
      > to the state it was in before calling your function. If you care
      > about that, you might also want to include something like this in
      > your functions.
      >
      > " Save original cursor and screen location.
      > "
      > let curr_line = line(".")
      > let restore_cursor = "normal!" . curr_line . "G" . virtcol(".") . "|"
      > normal! H
      > let restore_screen = line(".") . "normal!zt"
      >
      > [function does its work]
      >
      > " Restore screen and cursor to original positions.
      > "
      > execute restore_screen
      > execute restore_cursor
      >
      > There are lots of variations on this; that's just one way to do it.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Gary
      >
      > --
      > Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      > garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
      > | Spokane, Washington, USA
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        vim@... wrote:
        > Thanks Gary and Antoine for the replies. I have integrated Gary's
        > screen and cursor save/restore code into my function. Now if I call the
        > function using a call like
        > :10,20call CM("text")
        > or as a command like this:
        > :10,20CM text
        >
        > The cursor ends up on the line that begins the search range, in this
        > case line 10. Could it be that vim is positioning the cursor prior to
        > calling my function so my code thinks the start range is the current
        > cursor position?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Wayne

        yes, see ":help :call":

        Without a range and for functions that accept a range, the
        function is called once. When a range is given the cursor is
        positioned at the start of the first line before executing the
        function.

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          On 2005-02-01, vim@... wrote:
          > Thanks Gary and Antoine for the replies. I have integrated Gary's
          > screen and cursor save/restore code into my function. Now if I call the
          > function using a call like
          > :10,20call CM("text")
          > or as a command like this:
          > :10,20CM text
          >
          > The cursor ends up on the line that begins the search range, in this
          > case line 10. Could it be that vim is positioning the cursor prior to
          > calling my function so my code thinks the start range is the current
          > cursor position?

          That would be my guess. In fact, ":help :call" (just above ":help
          function-range-example") says:

          Without a range and for functions that accept a range, the
          function is called once. When a range is given the cursor is
          positioned at the start of the first line before executing the
          function.

          You might try another approach. How about defining your CM command
          to take a range and then passing that range explicitly to your
          function. Then define the function _without_ the range argument,
          but something like this:

          function CM(pattern, firstline, lastline)

          Gary