using different keyboard layouts under vim

  • Nikola Knezevic
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi, sorry if this is an old question, but I couldn't find the right
      answer.
      I have Croatian keyboard which I want to use under vim in command mode.
      In insert mode, it works like a charm (since fenc=enc=utf8). But in
      command mode vim is using some weird american layout (keyboard is
      QWERTZ, and the Shift+the key left to T exits, which is the desired
      function). But, when I try to follow the link (<C+]> typed as
      Ctrl+AltGr+g] it doesn't work.
      Any solution? Gosh, my english is so bad, I'm affraid you'll spend hours
      to dechiper it and seconds to reply:)

      I'm using gVim 6.3 under Windows XP.

      Thanks.
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        Nikola Knezevic wrote:
        > Hi, sorry if this is an old question, but I couldn't find the right
        > answer.
        > I have Croatian keyboard which I want to use under vim in command mode.
        > In insert mode, it works like a charm (since fenc=enc=utf8). But in
        > command mode vim is using some weird american layout (keyboard is
        > QWERTZ, and the Shift+the key left to T exits, which is the desired
        > function). But, when I try to follow the link (<C+]> typed as
        > Ctrl+AltGr+g] it doesn't work.
        > Any solution? Gosh, my english is so bad, I'm affraid you'll spend hours
        > to dechiper it and seconds to reply:)
        >
        > I'm using gVim 6.3 under Windows XP.
        >
        > Thanks.

        Control-SpecialCharacter keys often do not move from their position on
        the American QWERTY layout. You may try Ctrl (without AltGr) + the key
        at the right end of the top row of letter keys (the row just below the
        digit keys). Or if that doesn't work, you can always get the
        functionality back by means of a mapping, for example

        :map <F12> <C-]>

        to use F12 to follow links in helpfiles, as Ctrl-] is supposed to do.

        (Another way to follow the links, by the way, is by double-clicking them
        with the mouse.)

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Nikola Knezevic
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
          Antoine, ovo si ti izjavio [1.2.2005, 9:53:05 PM]:
          AJM> Nikola Knezevic wrote:
          >> Hi, sorry if this is an old question, but I couldn't find the right
          >> answer.
          >> I have Croatian keyboard which I want to use under vim in command mode.
          >> In insert mode, it works like a charm (since fenc=enc=utf8). But in
          >> command mode vim is using some weird american layout (keyboard is
          >> QWERTZ, and the Shift+the key left to T exits, which is the desired
          >> function). But, when I try to follow the link (<C+]> typed as
          >> Ctrl+AltGr+g] it doesn't work.
          >> Any solution? Gosh, my english is so bad, I'm affraid you'll spend hours
          >> to dechiper it and seconds to reply:)

          AJM> Control-SpecialCharacter keys often do not move from their position on
          AJM> the American QWERTY layout. You may try Ctrl (without AltGr) + the key
          AJM> at the right end of the top row of letter keys (the row just below the
          AJM> digit keys). Or if that doesn't work, you can always get the

          That works and I knew that since I'm using vim on faculty's terminal
          which has keyboards with US layout. But I want to move Ctrl+specChar
          to use my keyboard's layout.

          Thanks.

          --
          ... Menjam litru vode za kilo struje. Sifra: Novobeogradjanin

          Nikola Knezevic
          [homepage: http://users.hemo.net/indy%5d
          [jabberID: indy@...]