Looking for a tip ...

  • krasnal
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hello all,

      I'm looking for a tip regarding jumps/tags functionality.
      What I'm after? I'd like to synchronize the jumps and the tags lists
      somehow. The example:

      I'm browsing some C file then in the middle of long function I'd like to
      find out the type of given variable so I 'gd' on it move to the definition
      via CTRL-] (possibly browse there a bit) then go back with CTRL-T and now
      I'd like to go back easily to the place I've started (where I pressed 'gd')
      but unfortunately CTRL-O puts me back to the definition and I have to go
      through the whole jumps history until I come back to the place I want.

      Is there an option or some trick to have CTRL-T also move the position in
      the jumps list. As I understand the current situation these two are not
      related to each other and I'd like to have some bit in the jumps list saying
      that this particular one was a tag jump so that CTRL-T will also shift me
      back to the proper place in the jumps list (currently CTRL-T adds another
      jump position to the list).

      Maybe there's some other solution/work around? What do you suggest?

      Best regards
      Andrzej
      --
      ____ _ ___
      / | \_/ |/ _ \ Andrzej Marek Ostruszka
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Quoting krasnal <krasnal@...>:

        > I'm browsing some C file then in the middle of long function I'd like to
        > find out the type of given variable so I 'gd' on it move to the definition
        > via CTRL-] (possibly browse there a bit) then go back with CTRL-T and now
        > I'd like to go back easily to the place I've started (where I pressed 'gd')
        > but unfortunately CTRL-O puts me back to the definition and I have to go
        > through the whole jumps history until I come back to the place I want.

        Here're a couple of approaches:

        * Instead of gd, type mAgd (or map the sequence to a function key or
        something).
        Then ctrl-], browse, etc, then type 'A .

        * Instead of ctrl-], type ctrl-w ] . That will split the window with the cursor
        on the tagged item. When you're done browsing about, just :q the window.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell