Re: vim7 vimgrep functionality question - recursive searches???

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Brett Stahlman wrote:

      > It does not appear that vim7's vimgrep command permits recursive searches to
      > be specified easily when it is desired to search multiple subdirectories in
      > a recursive fashion:
      >
      > e.g., there appears to be nothing analogous to a -R option, nor even
      > the ability to use Vim's forward search capabilities (path_extra
      > stuff); e.g., **/*.c or **3/*.h

      This is still something that is in the todo list. Ideally you would be
      able to use "**" in every place where file names are expanded. Also for
      a command such as ":next **/Makefile", that would edit "Makefile" in all
      directories in the directory tree.

      3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

    • Stahlman Family
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        >> It does not appear that vim7's vimgrep command permits recursive searches
        >> be specified easily when it is desired to search multiple subdirectories
        >> in
        >> a recursive fashion:
        >>
        >> e.g., there appears to be nothing analogous to a -R option, nor even
        >> the ability to use Vim's forward search capabilities (path_extra
        >> stuff); e.g., **/*.c or **3/*.h
        >
        > This is still something that is in the todo list. Ideally you would be
        > able to use "**" in every place where file names are expanded. Also for
        > a command such as ":next **/Makefile", that would edit "Makefile" in all
        > directories in the directory tree.

        Excellent! I'm assuming the expansion you mention will occur when hitting
        wildchar while typing an :e command as well. That would be extremely useful.

        Thanks,
        Brett S.