win32 gui unicode cjk display

  • Mark Guzman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hello,
      I was wondering if anyone has gotten gVim under win32 to display cjk unicode
      text?
      --mark
    • panshizhu@routon.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
        Mark Guzman <segfault@...> wrote on 2005-02-01 02:59:38:

        > Hello,
        > I was wondering if anyone has gotten gVim under win32 to display
        > cjk unicode
        > text?
        > --mark

        Sure there are, including me... You must have a fixed-width font that
        supports unicode however.

        What do you want to know?

        --
        Sincerely
        Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
          set guifont=isi_ansi:h14:cDEFAULT
          set guifontwide=
          set guifontwide=SimSun-18030,Arial_Unicode_MS
          set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,prc,latin1
          set termencoding=prc
          set encoding=utf-8

          I suppose everyone would have Arial_Unicode_MS in his Windows (this does
          not work very well however). SimSun-18130 only available in Chinese
          versions of Windows, you should have your own, Japanese or Korean? there
          should be a default font which supports unicode and can be fixed-width (or
          have a maximum width) provided with your "Windows".

          the fileencodings should include utf-8, that's all. other settings are just
          for reference...

          --
          Sincerely
          Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

          Mark Guzman <segfault@...> wrote on 2005-02-01 11:28:30:

          > What font are you using?
          > --mark
          >

          > panshizhu@... wrote:
          >
          > >Mark Guzman <segfault@...> wrote on 2005-02-01 02:59:38:
          > >

          > >>Hello,
          > >> I was wondering if anyone has gotten gVim under win32 to display
          > >>cjk unicode
          > >>text?
          > >> --mark
          > >>

          > >Sure there are, including me... You must have a fixed-width font that
          > >supports unicode however.
          > >
          > >What do you want to know?
          > >
          > >--
          > >Sincerely
          > >Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
            Mark Guzman wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I was wondering if anyone has gotten gVim under win32 to display cjk
            > unicode
            > text?
            > --mark

            I have, on XP. (My Windows locale is Latin.) I used:

            :set tenc=latin1 enc=utf-8
            :setglobal bomb
            :set guifont=MingLiU:h12:cDEFAULT " Traditional Chinese

            To input Chinese text, I used the Unicode character charts (which are
            ranked "by radicals" with Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese in
            a single list) and ^Vuxxxx where ^V is the Control-V key combo and xxxx
            is the Unicode codepoint in hex (see ":help i_CTRL-V_digit").

          • Gashu
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
              Hi,

              Mark Guzman wrote:

              > Hello,
              > I was wondering if anyone has gotten gVim under win32 to display cjk
              > unicode
              > text?
              > --mark

              I have too. am using Japanese with BDF Unicode M+ Font, and libiconv to
              detect several encodings.

              BDF Unicode M+ Font
              http://www.kaoriya.net/dist/var/bdfUMplus-20040124.tar.bz2
              libiconv
              http://www.kaoriya.net/dist/iconv-1.9.1-dll.tar.bz2

              My gvimrc here.
              http://www.gashu.org/pocket/vim/_gvimrc

              Regards,

              --Gashu
            • Wu Yongwei
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                You have "set fileencodings=utf-8,shift-jis,euc_jp,latin1,ucs-bom". According to the help, "ucs-bom" should be placed at the beginning?

                Best reards,

                Yongwei

                Gashu <gashu@...>
                2005-02-01 22:00

                To: vim@...
                CC:
                Subject: Re: win32 gui unicode cjk display

                Hi,

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Wu Yongwei wrote:
                  > You have "set fileencodings=utf-8,shift-jis,euc_jp,latin1,ucs-bom". According to the help, "ucs-bom" should be placed at the beginning?
                  >
                  > Best reards,
                  >
                  > Yongwei
                  [...]

                  Yes, ucs-bom (if present) should be the first item in 'fileencodings',
                  and an 8-bit encoding like latin1 (if present) should be last, because
                  ucs-bom will only be recognised if the file starts with one of the 5
                  recognised B.O.M. byte sequences, while latin1 (or any other 8-bit
                  encoding) cannot be "disproved".

                  Vim normally adds ucs-bom at the start of 'fileencodings' when you
                  switch 'encoding' to UTF-8; but if you want to add it yourself you
                  should use ":set fencs^=ucs-bom" with ^= (add at left) rather than +=
                  (add at right).

                • Gashu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Thanks you guys!

                    I've just placed "ucs-bom" at the beginning point. Let me see what is
                    diffrent on daily use.

                    TNX.

                    --Gashu