Re: ~/.vimrc under windows

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
      Mathias Michaelis wrote:
      > Hello Neil
      >
      >> I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using
      >> gvim under Windows and where I should place it.
      >>
      > I think the best way is to open vim or gvim and then type
      >
      > :echo $HOME
      >
      > On the other hand, if you open a dos or cmd window and then type `echo
      > %HOME%´, as others have suggested, you may get the stupid output
      > `%HOME%´ only, because %HOME% may not be defined. However, within vim or
      > gvim the $HOME variable is always defined somehow (as
      > %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% if %HOME% is not defined, else as %HOME%)
      >
      > I use to place my personal vimfiles directory also to the place that vim
      > shows by `:echo $HOME´. Within the vimfiles directory you can put
      > personal plugins, syntax color definitions etc.
      >
      > I hope that helps.
      > Regards
      > Mathias

      Neil:
      On any platform, ":version" will tell you where your particular version
      of (g)vim looks for startup scripts. Use the method above to evaluate
      any environment variables in the answers. Note that if a filename
      starting with an underline is not found, the same name is searched again
      with an initial dot instead (and vice-versa on Unix-like systems).

      Mathias:
      The reason why the vimfiles directory is there is because, as you
      probably know, that's where the default for the 'runtimepath' option
      (q.v.) puts it. Under Unix it is called $HOME/.vim rather than
      $HOME/vimfiles but the system-wide equivalent (for customizations that
      didn't come with the Vim distribution) is still $VIM/vimfiles .

      HTH,
      Tony.

      P.S.: Sorry if I sound pedantic: I'm a retired lower-high-school teacher
      and sometimes it shows.