Re: vim clientserver without gui, highlighting question, and showmode customization

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
      James Moss wrote:

      > >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
      > >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
      > >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
      > >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
      > >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
      > >
      > > No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
      > > 'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.
      >
      > I don't suppose this being a fixed/hardcoded and non-customizable item
      > would change anytime in the future? I haven't looked through the code
      > for this, but would you accept patches or would you rather people find a
      > way to get along with what others have stated (no showmode/put something
      > in a custom statusline)?

      I don't see a good reason to customize this. At least it will not be
      easy to implement, since redrawing the commandline is complicated.
      Also, we have so many options already... There must be many things with
      a higher priority.

      --
      Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
      (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)