Re: Creating directories in Explore

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
      Antun Karlovac wrote:
      > Hi George
      >
      > Thanks. I know about the cmdline mode; I was hoping that Vim had its own
      > command that was OS-independent:
      >
      > I'm a Cygwin user on Windows, so I'm not used to the md command.
      > However, mkdir doesn't work in gvim in Windows for me. Is there a way I
      > can make Vim know about the Cygwin mkdir command when in Explorer mode?
      >
      > -Antun
      [...]

      (Sorry if I'm duplicating a previous answer: slowly catching up on a
      fortnight's worth of queued mail.)

      mkdir does exist in Windows: in DOS (and thus in Windows) it is a
      hardcoded alias for md. Thus you can use it but not with -p (AFAIK,
      DOS/Windows md/mkdir has no command-line options; and if there were any,
      they would be ushered in by a slash rather than a dash).

      Other hardcoded aliases in the same family are rd/rmdir cd/chdir. Under
      Dos/Windows, all these are internal shell commands (whereas under Unix
      they are separate programs). Thus I venture to say that mkdir/rmdir (and
      also cd, but Vim has an internal cd command) are (when used from Vim
      without command-line options) fairly platform-independent.

      (Since version 2, DOS has quite a lot of Unix-like features; but it's
      more a parent language than a Unix dialect).