~/.vimrc under windows

  • Neil Zanella
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hello,

      I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using gvim
      under Windows and where I should place it.

      Thanks,

      Neil
    • Andrew Stryker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        Neil Zanella <nzanella@...> wrote on 2005-Jan-03:
        > Hello,

        Hello there -

        > I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using gvim
        > under Windows and where I should place it.

        Vim help (:h vimrc) says:

        Recommended place for your personal initializations:
        Unix $HOME/.vimrc
        OS/2 $HOME/.vimrc or $VIM/.vimrc (or _vimrc)
        MS-DOS and Win32 $HOME/_vimrc or $VIM/_vimrc
        Amiga s:.vimrc or $VIM/.vimrc

        All that means is use your home directory. One way to find out
        which directory is home directory is to type

        echo %HOME%

        at a command prompt. The screen should echo something like:

        c:/Documents and Settings/neil

        And that is your home directory.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Neil

        Andrew
        --
        He looked at me as if I was a side dish he hadn't ordered.
      • panshizhu@routon.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          find where your HOME (i.e. your path to the %HOME% environment variable)
          lies, and place your .vimrc into your HOME directory.

          If you do not know how, try Run cmd.exe, then type
          echo %HOME%

          to find where is your HOME, you can change the HOME in Computer settings.

          --
          Sincerely
          Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

          Neil Zanella <nzanella@...> wrote on 2005-01-04 11:15:52:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using gvim
          > under Windows and where I should place it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Neil
        • Mathias Michaelis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            Hello Neil

            > I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using
            > gvim under Windows and where I should place it.

            I think the best way is to open vim or gvim and then type

            :echo $HOME

            On the other hand, if you open a dos or cmd window and then type
            `echo %HOME%´, as others have suggested, you may get the stupid
            output `%HOME%´ only, because %HOME% may not be defined. However,
            within vim or gvim the $HOME variable is always defined somehow (as
            %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% if %HOME% is not defined, else as %HOME%)

            I use to place my personal vimfiles directory also to the place that
            vim shows by `:echo $HOME´. Within the vimfiles directory you can
            put personal plugins, syntax color definitions etc.

            I hope that helps.
            Regards
            Mathias
          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
              Mathias Michaelis wrote:
              > Hello Neil
              >
              >> I would like to know where to place my personal .vimrc when using
              >> gvim under Windows and where I should place it.
              >>
              > I think the best way is to open vim or gvim and then type
              >
              > :echo $HOME
              >
              > On the other hand, if you open a dos or cmd window and then type `echo
              > %HOME%´, as others have suggested, you may get the stupid output
              > `%HOME%´ only, because %HOME% may not be defined. However, within vim or
              > gvim the $HOME variable is always defined somehow (as
              > %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% if %HOME% is not defined, else as %HOME%)
              >
              > I use to place my personal vimfiles directory also to the place that vim
              > shows by `:echo $HOME´. Within the vimfiles directory you can put
              > personal plugins, syntax color definitions etc.
              >
              > I hope that helps.
              > Regards
              > Mathias

              Neil:
              On any platform, ":version" will tell you where your particular version
              of (g)vim looks for startup scripts. Use the method above to evaluate
              any environment variables in the answers. Note that if a filename
              starting with an underline is not found, the same name is searched again
              with an initial dot instead (and vice-versa on Unix-like systems).

              Mathias:
              The reason why the vimfiles directory is there is because, as you
              probably know, that's where the default for the 'runtimepath' option
              (q.v.) puts it. Under Unix it is called $HOME/.vim rather than
              $HOME/vimfiles but the system-wide equivalent (for customizations that
              didn't come with the Vim distribution) is still $VIM/vimfiles .

              HTH,
              Tony.

              P.S.: Sorry if I sound pedantic: I'm a retired lower-high-school teacher
              and sometimes it shows.