Re: vim clientserver without gui, highlighting question, and showmode customization

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
      On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:

      > Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
      > manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
      > with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
      > file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
      > information and nvi presents the bottom line.

      I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode' display, but you can
      use the mode() function within a 'statusline' string to display the
      current mode in the status line. Since you can evaluate an
      expression within the 'statusline', including calling your own
      function, you can translate the single-character return value of
      mode() to whatever string you want.

      HTH,
      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
      | Spokane, Washington, USA
    • James Moss
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
        Gary Johnson wrote:
        > On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
        >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
        >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
        >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
        >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
        >

        > I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode' display, but you can
        > use the mode() function within a 'statusline' string to display the
        > current mode in the status line. Since you can evaluate an
        > expression within the 'statusline', including calling your own
        > function, you can translate the single-character return value of
        > mode() to whatever string you want.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Gary

        Not quite what I want, as you mentioned since that'd be the status line.
        Perhaps I should ask about this a possible future feature on vim-dev?
        -James
      • Antony Scriven
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
          James Moss wrote:

          > Gary Johnson wrote:
          >
          > > On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Can the results of showmode be customized much the
          > > > way statusline can be manipulated? I was hoping to
          > > > ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go with a
          > > > right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next
          > > > to it if the file had been modified, much the way
          > > > some SVR4 vi's present the information and nvi
          > > > presents the bottom line.
          > >
          > > I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode'
          > > display, but you can use the mode() function within a
          > > 'statusline' string to display the current mode in the
          > > status line. Since you can evaluate an expression
          > > within the 'statusline', including calling your own
          > > function, you can translate the single-character return
          > > value of mode() to whatever string you want.
          > > [...]
          >
          > Not quite what I want, as you mentioned since that'd be
          > the status line. Perhaps I should ask about this a
          > possible future feature on vim-dev?

          You can `:set stl=' and use `:set ruler ls=0' and customize
          'rulerformat'. I also like the way nvi has the line,column
          info in the centre of the window. Problem with this in vim
          is that vim doesn't make the full width of the screen
          available for messages. If a message runs into the ruler
          then you get a `Hit enter' prompt. Maybe there's an easy way
          to fix that?

          Antony
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
            James Moss wrote:

            > Can a vim server be setup/used without a GUI choice compiled in? The
            > clientserver documents didn't specify though all the example refer to
            > gvim and I was kind of hoping that this would be possible from the
            > commandline.

            It's below ":help x11-clientserver":

            A non GUI Vim with access to the X11 display (|xterm-clipboard|
            enabled), can also act as a command server if a server name is
            explicitly given with the --servername argument.

            On Unix "vim" and "gvim" are actually the same program. You can also
            use the client-server functionality for the non-GUI version, but it
            doesn't start as a server by default, while the GUI version does. You
            need to start Vim with:

            vim --servername VIM [other arguments]

            > Also, pouring through the syntax files, I noticed that there's a c.vim
            > and an Operator group. I expected to see regex's to match +'s, -'s,
            > ='s, etc but this isn't the case. Is there any specific reason as to
            > why operators and other common items (brackets, parens, even ->, etc)
            > aren't highlighted by default?

            Highlighting single characters is hardly noticable. Also, it has not
            much function to highlight characters that are easily recognized
            already. It's better to highlight only the things that look better with
            highlighting.

            > Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
            > manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
            > with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
            > file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
            > information and nvi presents the bottom line.

            No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
            'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.

            221. Your wife melts your keyboard in the oven.

          • James Moss
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > James Moss wrote:

              Thanks for the pointers on the other stuff

              >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
              >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
              >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
              >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
              >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
              >

              > No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
              > 'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.

              I don't suppose this being a fixed/hardcoded and non-customizable item
              would change anytime in the future? I haven't looked through the code
              for this, but would you accept patches or would you rather people find a
              way to get along with what others have stated (no showmode/put something
              in a custom statusline)?
              -James
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
                James Moss wrote:

                > >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
                > >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
                > >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
                > >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
                > >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
                > >
                > > No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
                > > 'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.
                >
                > I don't suppose this being a fixed/hardcoded and non-customizable item
                > would change anytime in the future? I haven't looked through the code
                > for this, but would you accept patches or would you rather people find a
                > way to get along with what others have stated (no showmode/put something
                > in a custom statusline)?

                I don't see a good reason to customize this. At least it will not be
                easy to implement, since redrawing the commandline is complicated.
                Also, we have so many options already... There must be many things with
                a higher priority.

                --
                Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
                (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)