vim clientserver without gui, highlighting question, and showmode customization

  • James Moss
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3 1:39 PM
      Can a vim server be setup/used without a GUI choice compiled in? The
      clientserver documents didn't specify though all the example refer to
      gvim and I was kind of hoping that this would be possible from the
      commandline.

      Also, pouring through the syntax files, I noticed that there's a c.vim
      and an Operator group. I expected to see regex's to match +'s, -'s,
      ='s, etc but this isn't the case. Is there any specific reason as to
      why operators and other common items (brackets, parens, even ->, etc)
      aren't highlighted by default?

      Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
      manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
      with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
      file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
      information and nvi presents the bottom line.

      I did search the mailing list archives for this information, but came up
      short, so any help or other pointers would be greatly appreciated.
      -James Moss
    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3 5:46 PM
        On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:

        > Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
        > manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
        > with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
        > file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
        > information and nvi presents the bottom line.

        I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode' display, but you can
        use the mode() function within a 'statusline' string to display the
        current mode in the status line. Since you can evaluate an
        expression within the 'statusline', including calling your own
        function, you can translate the single-character return value of
        mode() to whatever string you want.

        HTH,
        Gary

        --
        Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
        garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
        | Spokane, Washington, USA
      • James Moss
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3 6:53 PM
          Gary Johnson wrote:
          > On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:
          >

          >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
          >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
          >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
          >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
          >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
          >

          > I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode' display, but you can
          > use the mode() function within a 'statusline' string to display the
          > current mode in the status line. Since you can evaluate an
          > expression within the 'statusline', including calling your own
          > function, you can translate the single-character return value of
          > mode() to whatever string you want.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Gary

          Not quite what I want, as you mentioned since that'd be the status line.
          Perhaps I should ask about this a possible future feature on vim-dev?
          -James
        • Antony Scriven
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4 1:22 AM
            James Moss wrote:

            > Gary Johnson wrote:
            >
            > > On 2005-01-03, James Moss <moss@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Can the results of showmode be customized much the
            > > > way statusline can be manipulated? I was hoping to
            > > > ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go with a
            > > > right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next
            > > > to it if the file had been modified, much the way
            > > > some SVR4 vi's present the information and nvi
            > > > presents the bottom line.
            > >
            > > I don't see any way to customize the 'showmode'
            > > display, but you can use the mode() function within a
            > > 'statusline' string to display the current mode in the
            > > status line. Since you can evaluate an expression
            > > within the 'statusline', including calling your own
            > > function, you can translate the single-character return
            > > value of mode() to whatever string you want.
            > > [...]
            >
            > Not quite what I want, as you mentioned since that'd be
            > the status line. Perhaps I should ask about this a
            > possible future feature on vim-dev?

            You can `:set stl=' and use `:set ruler ls=0' and customize
            'rulerformat'. I also like the way nvi has the line,column
            info in the centre of the window. Problem with this in vim
            is that vim doesn't make the full width of the screen
            available for messages. If a message runs into the ruler
            then you get a `Hit enter' prompt. Maybe there's an easy way
            to fix that?

            Antony
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4 2:18 AM
              James Moss wrote:

              > Can a vim server be setup/used without a GUI choice compiled in? The
              > clientserver documents didn't specify though all the example refer to
              > gvim and I was kind of hoping that this would be possible from the
              > commandline.

              It's below ":help x11-clientserver":

              A non GUI Vim with access to the X11 display (|xterm-clipboard|
              enabled), can also act as a command server if a server name is
              explicitly given with the --servername argument.

              On Unix "vim" and "gvim" are actually the same program. You can also
              use the client-server functionality for the non-GUI version, but it
              doesn't start as a server by default, while the GUI version does. You
              need to start Vim with:

              vim --servername VIM [other arguments]

              > Also, pouring through the syntax files, I noticed that there's a c.vim
              > and an Operator group. I expected to see regex's to match +'s, -'s,
              > ='s, etc but this isn't the case. Is there any specific reason as to
              > why operators and other common items (brackets, parens, even ->, etc)
              > aren't highlighted by default?

              Highlighting single characters is hardly noticable. Also, it has not
              much function to highlight characters that are easily recognized
              already. It's better to highlight only the things that look better with
              highlighting.

              > Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
              > manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
              > with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
              > file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
              > information and nvi presents the bottom line.

              No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
              'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.

              221. Your wife melts your keyboard in the oven.

            • James Moss
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5 6:51 PM
                Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > James Moss wrote:

                Thanks for the pointers on the other stuff

                >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
                >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
                >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
                >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
                >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
                >

                > No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
                > 'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.

                I don't suppose this being a fixed/hardcoded and non-customizable item
                would change anytime in the future? I haven't looked through the code
                for this, but would you accept patches or would you rather people find a
                way to get along with what others have stated (no showmode/put something
                in a custom statusline)?
                -James
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6 3:16 AM
                  James Moss wrote:

                  > >>Can the results of showmode be customized much the way statusline can be
                  > >>manipulated? I was hoping to ditch the left justified --INSERT-- and go
                  > >>with a right justified Insert/Command with an asterisk next to it if the
                  > >>file had been modified, much the way some SVR4 vi's present the
                  > >>information and nvi presents the bottom line.
                  > >
                  > > No, this is fixed. But, as others already mentioned, you can switch off
                  > > 'showmode' and put something in a custom statusline.
                  >
                  > I don't suppose this being a fixed/hardcoded and non-customizable item
                  > would change anytime in the future? I haven't looked through the code
                  > for this, but would you accept patches or would you rather people find a
                  > way to get along with what others have stated (no showmode/put something
                  > in a custom statusline)?

                  I don't see a good reason to customize this. At least it will not be
                  easy to implement, since redrawing the commandline is complicated.
                  Also, we have so many options already... There must be many things with
                  a higher priority.

                  --
                  Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
                  (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)