Re: The Tcl interface

  • Alejandro López-Valencia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      On 03/01/2005 03:08 a.m., Jingzhao Ou wrote:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > I am using gvim under Windows. I installed the big version with GUI. I
      > typed :version and was able to see the following:
      >
      > +tcl/dyn
      >
      > I have ActiveTcl 8.4.9 installed on my computer and tclsh is added to
      > the PATH environment variable. However, when I typed :echo has("tcl"), I
      > get 0.
      [snip]

      > I got a complain saying that tcl83.dll is not found. Can anyone kindly
      > tell me what is wrong with my settings?

      That Vim was linked to Tcl 8.3, not 8.4.9, as should be obvious from the
      error message.

      If you want a win32 vim binary linked to the latest and greatest version
      of some external interpreter, you'll need to compile vim yourself. For
      Tcl/Tk you'll need the proper stub library for the compiler you are
      using. ActiveState should provide at least one for the compiler they
      used for their binary the release, for others... Search in the Tcl/Tk Wiki.

      > Thanks a lot!

      You are welcome.

      --
      Alejandro López-Valencia

      Lo que Natura non da, Salamanca non presta.
      Francisco Quevedo y Villegas
    • Jingzhao Ou
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        Thanks a lot for the replies. I make a copy of tcl84.dll and rename it
        to be tcl83.dll. Then, ...... it works! :-)

        I know that there must be some issues by doing so. I will learn to
        compile vim myself later. I would like to keep a version of vim compiled
        with the latest tcl/tk myself (and make it available to the public if
        there is allowed.)

        Wish all of you have a nice day!

        Jingzhao Ou ( a Tcl guy )

        Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
        > On 03/01/2005 03:08 a.m., Jingzhao Ou wrote:
        >
        >> Dear all,
        >>
        >> I am using gvim under Windows. I installed the big version with GUI. I
        >> typed :version and was able to see the following:
        >>
        >> +tcl/dyn
        >>
        >> I have ActiveTcl 8.4.9 installed on my computer and tclsh is added to
        >> the PATH environment variable. However, when I typed :echo has("tcl"),
        >> I get 0.
        >
        > [snip]
        >

        >> I got a complain saying that tcl83.dll is not found. Can anyone kindly
        >> tell me what is wrong with my settings?
        >>

        > That Vim was linked to Tcl 8.3, not 8.4.9, as should be obvious from the
        > error message.
        >
        > If you want a win32 vim binary linked to the latest and greatest version
        > of some external interpreter, you'll need to compile vim yourself. For
        > Tcl/Tk you'll need the proper stub library for the compiler you are
        > using. ActiveState should provide at least one for the compiler they
        > used for their binary the release, for others... Search in the Tcl/Tk Wiki.
        >
        >> Thanks a lot!
        >>
        > You are welcome.

      • Jingzhao Ou
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          Tcl works very well in a Windows box. I have compiled gvim myself with
          the latest 8.4 tcl. Want to try out? Downlaod gvim.exe from the
          following website and replace it with the original gvim.exe. Remember to
          make a backup first! :-)

          http://www-scf.usc.edu/~ouj/gvim.exe

          Try ":echo has("tcl")" and you will see a "1" shown up. :-)

          Happy viming and tcling!

          Jingzhao Ou ( a Tcl guy )