Re: Last visited buffers

  • Emily Jackson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
      On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:36:11 +0100
      Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...> wrote:

      > Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
      >
      > > Also, you can use the edit command:
      > > :e#[count]
      > > where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified).
      > > So, if
      > > you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
      > > 'CTRL-^',
      > > 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
      >
      > Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6
      > work (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
      > combination should I use?

      There was a post about this issue on the vim-mac list several months
      ago, and Bram sent a patch to the list that is supposed to fix this
      problem; I don't know if it was ever incorporated into any of the
      official patches, though (I use the X11 version of Vim with OS X). The
      patch is included in this message:
      <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=108764996023234&q=raw>.

      Emily

      --
      "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
      Emily Jackson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 at 8:45am, panshizhu@... wrote:

        > :help ctrl-^
        >
        > ctrl-^ get you to the nth (default 1) last visited buffer.
        >
        > Hope that helps.

        The ctrl-^ command without count goes to the last visited buffer, but
        the count is not an extrapolation of the same concept. The count is
        taken as an absolute buffer number, not an index into the last visited
        buffer list. In fact, I am not aware of Vim maintaining such a list, but
        there are a number of plugins that implement this functionality of an
        MRU list and you should be able to take advantage of them to implement a
        command of your own, if there is none already. Do a search on vim.org
        for MRU and you should find a plugin that you should be able to extend.

        Not exactly the same as the OP wants, but my selectbuf.vim plugin has
        some functionality which can also be used for this purpose. If you keep
        the buffer list sorted in the MRU order and use the 'a, 'b and 'c marks,
        you can quickly move cursor to the next, previous and current buffer
        lines (and press <Enter> to switch to them). It should also be possible
        to create commands on the lines of :next and :previous to shortcut this
        process.

        --
        HTH,
        Hari

        > "Singhal, Anil" <anil_singhal@...> wrote on 2004-12-31 04:36:20:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Any one knows about some scripts/vim commands - as to how I can
        > > move fwd & backward in the last visited buffers.
        > >
        > > Note:
        > > :next
        > > :previous
        > >
        > > scroll through the complete buffers list.
        > >
        > > Anil

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Alan Schmitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
          Le 3 janv. 05, à 13:25, Emily Jackson a écrit :

          > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:36:11 +0100
          > Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
          >>
          >>> Also, you can use the edit command:
          >>> :e#[count]
          >>> where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified).
          >>> So, if
          >>> you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
          >>> 'CTRL-^',
          >>> 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
          >>
          >> Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6
          >> work (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
          >> combination should I use?
          >
          > There was a post about this issue on the vim-mac list several months
          > ago, and Bram sent a patch to the list that is supposed to fix this
          > problem; I don't know if it was ever incorporated into any of the
          > official patches, though (I use the X11 version of Vim with OS X). The
          > patch is included in this message:
          > <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=108764996023234&q=raw>.

          Thanks for the link. I hope it will be included in future versions of
          Mac Vim.

          Alan Schmitt
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
            Alan Schmitt wrote:
            > Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
            >
            >> Also, you can use the edit command:
            >> :e#[count]
            >> where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified). So, if
            >> you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
            >> 'CTRL-^',
            >> 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
            >

            > Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6 work
            > (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
            > combination should I use?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Alan Schmitt

            If your keyboard hasn't got some key, you can make it available via a
            mapping, something similar to the following (experiment, and change to
            suit your taste):

            :map <F9> <C-^>
            :map! <F9> <C-^>