Last visited buffers

  • Singhal, Anil
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004

      Any one knows about some scripts/vim commands - as to how I can
      move fwd & backward in the last visited buffers.

      Note:
      :next
      :previous

      scroll through the complete buffers list.

      Anil
    • Antun Karlovac
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
        Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there is :bn and :bp.
        :ls will show you all open buffers.

        -Antun

      • panshizhu@routon.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
          :help ctrl-^

          ctrl-^ get you to the nth (default 1) last visited buffer.

          Hope that helps.
          --
          Sincerely
          Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

          "Singhal, Anil" <anil_singhal@...> wrote on 2004-12-31 04:36:20:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Any one knows about some scripts/vim commands - as to how I can
          > move fwd & backward in the last visited buffers.
          >
          > Note:
          > :next
          > :previous
          >
          > scroll through the complete buffers list.
          >
          > Anil
        • Boucher, Eric
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
            Also, you can use the edit command:
            :e#[count]
            where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified). So, if
            you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either 'CTRL-^',
            'CTRL-6' or ':e#'

            Have a nice day,

            Eric Boucher

            ctrl-^ get you to the nth (default 1) last visited buffer.

            Hope that helps.
            --
            Sincerely
            Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

            "Singhal, Anil" <anil_singhal@...> wrote on 2004-12-31 04:36:20:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Any one knows about some scripts/vim commands - as to how I can
            > move fwd & backward in the last visited buffers.
            >
            > Note:
            > :next
            > :previous
            >
            > scroll through the complete buffers list.
            >
            > Anil
          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
              Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :

              > Also, you can use the edit command:
              > :e#[count]
              > where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified). So,
              > if
              > you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
              > 'CTRL-^',
              > 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'

              Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6
              work (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
              combination should I use?

              Thanks,

              Alan Schmitt
            • Emily Jackson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
                On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:36:11 +0100
                Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...> wrote:

                > Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
                >
                > > Also, you can use the edit command:
                > > :e#[count]
                > > where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified).
                > > So, if
                > > you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
                > > 'CTRL-^',
                > > 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
                >
                > Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6
                > work (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
                > combination should I use?

                There was a post about this issue on the vim-mac list several months
                ago, and Bram sent a patch to the list that is supposed to fix this
                problem; I don't know if it was ever incorporated into any of the
                official patches, though (I use the X11 version of Vim with OS X). The
                patch is included in this message:
                <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=108764996023234&q=raw>.

                Emily

                --
                "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
                Emily Jackson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
                  On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 at 8:45am, panshizhu@... wrote:

                  > :help ctrl-^
                  >
                  > ctrl-^ get you to the nth (default 1) last visited buffer.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps.

                  The ctrl-^ command without count goes to the last visited buffer, but
                  the count is not an extrapolation of the same concept. The count is
                  taken as an absolute buffer number, not an index into the last visited
                  buffer list. In fact, I am not aware of Vim maintaining such a list, but
                  there are a number of plugins that implement this functionality of an
                  MRU list and you should be able to take advantage of them to implement a
                  command of your own, if there is none already. Do a search on vim.org
                  for MRU and you should find a plugin that you should be able to extend.

                  Not exactly the same as the OP wants, but my selectbuf.vim plugin has
                  some functionality which can also be used for this purpose. If you keep
                  the buffer list sorted in the MRU order and use the 'a, 'b and 'c marks,
                  you can quickly move cursor to the next, previous and current buffer
                  lines (and press <Enter> to switch to them). It should also be possible
                  to create commands on the lines of :next and :previous to shortcut this
                  process.

                  --
                  HTH,
                  Hari

                  > "Singhal, Anil" <anil_singhal@...> wrote on 2004-12-31 04:36:20:
                  >

                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > Any one knows about some scripts/vim commands - as to how I can
                  > > move fwd & backward in the last visited buffers.
                  > >
                  > > Note:
                  > > :next
                  > > :previous
                  > >
                  > > scroll through the complete buffers list.
                  > >
                  > > Anil

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Alan Schmitt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Le 3 janv. 05, à 13:25, Emily Jackson a écrit :

                    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:36:11 +0100
                    > Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
                    >>
                    >>> Also, you can use the edit command:
                    >>> :e#[count]
                    >>> where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified).
                    >>> So, if
                    >>> you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
                    >>> 'CTRL-^',
                    >>> 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
                    >>
                    >> Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6
                    >> work (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
                    >> combination should I use?
                    >
                    > There was a post about this issue on the vim-mac list several months
                    > ago, and Bram sent a patch to the list that is supposed to fix this
                    > problem; I don't know if it was ever incorporated into any of the
                    > official patches, though (I use the X11 version of Vim with OS X). The
                    > patch is included in this message:
                    > <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=108764996023234&q=raw>.

                    Thanks for the link. I hope it will be included in future versions of
                    Mac Vim.

                    Alan Schmitt
                  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
                      Alan Schmitt wrote:
                      > Le 31 déc. 04, à 13:23, Boucher, Eric a écrit :
                      >
                      >> Also, you can use the edit command:
                      >> :e#[count]
                      >> where [count] is then buffer number ('1' if nothing is specified). So, if
                      >> you want to toggle between the 2 lasts buffers, you can use either
                      >> 'CTRL-^',
                      >> 'CTRL-6' or ':e#'
                      >

                      > Using the Aqua version of Vim on OS X.3.7, neither CTRL-^ no CTRL-6 work
                      > (I also tried with Command, but it did not work either). What key
                      > combination should I use?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Alan Schmitt

                      If your keyboard hasn't got some key, you can make it available via a
                      mapping, something similar to the following (experiment, and change to
                      suit your taste):

                      :map <F9> <C-^>
                      :map! <F9> <C-^>