Environment Vars

  • Alejandro Calbazana
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hello,

      Is there a way to get updates to environment variable changes in Vim w/o
      having to restart? I am running win2k and noticed that after a quick
      change to an environment variable, it was not available in my working
      session.

      Thanks,

      Alejandro
    • Stefan Kell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2004
        Hi,

        short answer: log off and log on again.

        long answer: it depends how you change the variable and how you start vim.

        Regards

        Stefan Kell

        On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Alejandro Calbazana wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Is there a way to get updates to environment variable changes in Vim w/o
        > having to restart? I am running win2k and noticed that after a quick
        > change to an environment variable, it was not available in my working
        > session.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alejandro

      • Alejandro López-Valencia
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2004
          On 29/12/2004 04:15 p.m., Alejandro Calbazana wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Is there a way to get updates to environment variable changes in Vim w/o
          > having to restart? I am running win2k and noticed that after a quick
          > change to an environment variable, it was not available in my working
          > session.

          Hola tocayo,

          you can add environment variables or modify global variables inside the
          running vim's process to create a custom execution environment; this
          applies to all OSs.

          A concrete example: I had a problem with a Vim7 alpha build (built with
          Mingw gcc) a couple of months back, where it would not execute xxd.exe
          because it couldn't find executable files in the $VIMRUNTIME directory.
          I ended up using the following in my _vimrc file:

          if version >= 700
          let $PATH=$VIMRUNTIME . ":" . $PATH
          endif

          [I may not need this hack with the latest vim7 snapshot, but I haven't
          tried yet.]

          If you want to set up private environment variables without having to
          restart your session (no real need to reboot the machine, either in
          L/Unix nor WinNT) this is one way to do it.

          --
          Alejandro López-Valencia

          Lo que Natura non da, Salamanca non presta.
          Francisco Quevedo y Villegas