Re: Creating directories in Explore

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
      I wrote on 28 Dec 2004 18:58:04 -0800:

      > Antun Karlovac wrote on 28 Dec 2004 17:22:45 -0800
      > [...]
      >> I can create directories, but the pwd that Vim is in
      >> doesn't follow the directory that I'm looking at after
      >> typing :E. So if I run :!mkdir foo, foo will get created
      >> in the working directory, rather than the one I'm looking
      >> at.
      >>
      >> Since Explorer.vim is a plugin, is it possible to have it
      >> update the pwd while browsing? Would that be the right
      >> approach to get where I want, or is there a way of doing
      >> this through my rc file?
      >
      > The potential replacement to Explorer, netrw.vim, does its
      > work by changing the current directory to be the directory
      > being explored -- and it has a hack patch-code to keep the
      > directories unchanged "as default". I refer to the
      > patch-code that preserves the directories a hack because the
      > patch-code breaks the ":cd -" command.
      >
      > (As you might have inferred, I don't like the changing of
      > the current directory to be the directory being displayed;
      > and I don't like the breaking of the "cd -" command.)
      >
      > Anyway, I think there is an "rc way" (setting up an
      > autocommand) to change the current directory to be the
      > directory of the file in the current buffer -- but I think
      > (not sure) there is some bug associated with this scheme and
      > SUN-OS.

      See also :help autochdir

      --Suresh
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
        Antun Karlovac wrote:
        > Hi George
        >
        > Thanks. I know about the cmdline mode; I was hoping that Vim had its own
        > command that was OS-independent:
        >
        > I'm a Cygwin user on Windows, so I'm not used to the md command.
        > However, mkdir doesn't work in gvim in Windows for me. Is there a way I
        > can make Vim know about the Cygwin mkdir command when in Explorer mode?
        >
        > -Antun
        [...]

        (Sorry if I'm duplicating a previous answer: slowly catching up on a
        fortnight's worth of queued mail.)

        mkdir does exist in Windows: in DOS (and thus in Windows) it is a
        hardcoded alias for md. Thus you can use it but not with -p (AFAIK,
        DOS/Windows md/mkdir has no command-line options; and if there were any,
        they would be ushered in by a slash rather than a dash).

        Other hardcoded aliases in the same family are rd/rmdir cd/chdir. Under
        Dos/Windows, all these are internal shell commands (whereas under Unix
        they are separate programs). Thus I venture to say that mkdir/rmdir (and
        also cd, but Vim has an internal cd command) are (when used from Vim
        without command-line options) fairly platform-independent.

        (Since version 2, DOS has quite a lot of Unix-like features; but it's
        more a parent language than a Unix dialect).