Re: regex or function for deleting spaces in mail quote string

  • Antony Scriven
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hello

      Christian Ebert wrote:

      > I am looking for a regex or function to shrink the indenting of
      > higher quote levels in mails.
      >
      > "> > > Text" should become ">>> Text" (w/o ")

      Try something like this:

      :s/\(^[> ]*\)\@<= >/>/g

      :help /\@<= (and friends)

      Antony
    • Christian Ebert
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        Bonjour Luc,

        * Luc Hermitte on Thu, Dec 02, 2004:
        > * On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:22:38AM +0100, Christian Ebert <blacktrash@...> wrote:
        >> "> > > Text" should become ">>> Text" (w/o ")
        >
        > Try this:
        >
        > :s/^[> ]\+/\=substitute(submatch(0),' ', '', 'g').' '

        Great. Thanks.

        >:h :substitute
        >:h sub-replace-expression

        Yup. And with an example I can actually use it's always easier
        for me to start getting a grip on the matter.

        > HTH,

        Sure did.

        Try halting your sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten
        seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting
        organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.
        ~ W. S. Borroughs, The Ticket That Exploded
      • Alan G Isaac
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Christian Ebert apparently wrote:
          > I am looking for a regex or function to shrink the indenting of
          > higher quote levels in mails.

          http://www.american.edu/econ/notes/aimail.vim
          has this and a few other things.

          hth,