Error in help file usr_20.txt, line 384

  • R. shankar
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      In usr_20.txt, line number 384, the description is

      CTRL-B or <Home> to begin of command line

      But if try this, CTRL-B moves one cahracter to the left.
      CTRL-A moves the cursor to the beginning of the command line/
      Similarly <S-Left> does not move the cursor by words, it does by character only.
      Is it is mistake in the usr manual or I am missing something.

      I am using vim6.3 . The same is observed in both Linux and Solaris.

      Regards,
      shankar
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        On 2/12/2004 9:20, R. shankar wrote:
        > In usr_20.txt, line number 384, the description is
        >
        > CTRL-B or <Home> to begin of command line
        >
        > But if try this, CTRL-B moves one cahracter to the left.
        > CTRL-A moves the cursor to the beginning of the command line/
        > Similarly <S-Left> does not move the cursor by words, it does by character only.
        > Is it is mistake in the usr manual or I am missing something.
        >
        > I am using vim6.3 . The same is observed in both Linux and Solaris.
        >
        > Regards,
        > shankar

        What is the modification of that helpfile? In my usr_20.txt (2003 Apr
        30, for Vim 6.3) line 384 is the last line, containing only a link to
        the copyright and a modeline.

        ":help CTRL-B" sends me to scroll.txt line 89 (Ctrl-B, Shift-Up or PgUp
        scroll the window [count] screens backwards) and ":help i_CTRL-B" only
        finds "i_CTRL-B_gone", which says that the use of Ctrl-B in Insert mode
        for +rightleft versions of (g)vim has been discontinued.

        At cmdline.txt line 95 (":help c_CTRL-B") I find what you mention; and
        by trying Ctrl-B on ":azerty azerty azerty" I am sent back to
        immediately after the colon; on the same command-line, starting at the
        end, every Shift-Left goes left to the first character of the previous
        word. In Bugzilla parlance: WORKSFORME.

        ":help c_CTRL-A" tells me that Ctrl-A on the command-line inserts all
        matches for the pattern before the cursor.

        Are you sure the keys in question are not remapped on your systems? Try

        :cmap <C-B>
        :cmap <C-A>
        :cmap <S-Left>

      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
          On 2/12/2004 11:07, R. shankar wrote:
          > Hi, I am sorry . It is line number 52 of usr_20.txt
          > When I type cmap <C-B> ,
          > the repy was
          > c <C-B> * <Left>
          >
          > How do I unmap this cmap?
          >
          > Regards,
          > shankar
          [...]

          " unmap for command-mode only
          :cunmap <C-B>
          or
          " unmap for Normal, Command, Visual, etc.
          " but not for Insert, Replace, etc.
          :unmap <C-B>

          HTH,