Re: Preserving buffers

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi *

      > Ah, OK, that makes sense ;-)
      > Yeah, well, "register" is already the right keyword. Just do
      >
      > :registers
      >
      > and you'll see all the registers, currently occupied. So
      >
      > "q
      >
      > would be the register used by "qq".

      Uups -- not so fast! With qq you start _not_ a register, but a
      keyboard makro. You end the recording of the makro by pressing a
      single q again.

      With "qy<motion> you "yank" some text in the register q.

      With :registers you don't see the makro, but the text you yanked
      with "qy<motion>. However, the makro still exists, as @q prooves.

      Regards,
      Mathias
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        On 1/12/2004 11:58, Mathias Michaelis wrote:
        > Hi *
        >

        >>Ah, OK, that makes sense ;-)
        >>Yeah, well, "register" is already the right keyword. Just do
        >>
        >> :registers
        >>
        >>and you'll see all the registers, currently occupied. So
        >>
        >> "q
        >>
        >>would be the register used by "qq".
        >>

        > Uups -- not so fast! With qq you start _not_ a register, but a
        > keyboard makro. You end the recording of the makro by pressing a
        > single q again.
        >
        > With "qy<motion> you "yank" some text in the register q.
        >
        > With :registers you don't see the makro, but the text you yanked
        > with "qy<motion>. However, the makro still exists, as @q prooves.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mathias

        Not so fast, Mathias.

        With qq you start a keyboard macro which is stored in register q ( qa
        would store it in register a , qQ would append it to the existing
        contents of register q , etc.); ":registers" or ":echo @q" will then
        show your keyboard macro as the contents of register q ; and "qp will
        "put" that contents without interpretation.

        If, after starting a keyboard macro with qq and ending it with q , you
        yank something into register q with "qy<motion> , it replaces your
        keyboard macro with the yanked text.

        see
        :help q

      • Mathias Michaelis