Re: OT: Does Emacs have a Gene?

  • Neil Zanella
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      Yeah, are we sure those microbiologists didn't choose the name on purpose
      just to get more hits to their site. ;-)

      (I hope you can appreciate the nature of the joke)

      Regards,

      Neil

      On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:25:58 +1100, Mark Woodward
      <markwoodward@...> wrote:
      > I knew vim was good, but to have a family of genes named after it is waaaay
      > to impressive!
      >
      > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=310168
      >
      > Perhaps this could be added to the 'Other Weirdness' section of 'Trivia' on
      > the vim site.
      >
      > --
      > Mark

    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        Dnia wtorek, 2 listopada 2004 05:25, Mark Woodward napisaƂ:
        > I knew vim was good, but to have a family of genes named after it is
        > waaaay to impressive!
        >
        > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=310168

        Excerpts:

        "VIM-7 shows 77% identity with VIM-1"

        Isn't it slightly backward - fifteen years of development nad returning
        to the beginnings?

        "VIM-7 [...] may be considered part of the VIM family."

        What a relief.

        "VIM-7 is only distantly related to the other VIM-like"

        Hmm. So what with that VIM-1 similarities?

        "It is therefore unlikely that VIM-7 has arrived
        on the North American continent via immediate dissemination from Europe
        or East Asia, where the other VIM [...] have been reported. It is
        probable that VIM-7 has arisen independently within the United States."

        New internet protocol or hidden developer?

        m.

        :))))

        Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 6 Oct)
        http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
        CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net