OT: Does Emacs have a Gene?

  • Mark Woodward
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      I knew vim was good, but to have a family of genes named after it is waaaay
      to impressive!

      http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=310168

      Perhaps this could be added to the 'Other Weirdness' section of 'Trivia' on
      the vim site.

      --
      Mark
    • Neil Zanella
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        Yeah, are we sure those microbiologists didn't choose the name on purpose
        just to get more hits to their site. ;-)

        (I hope you can appreciate the nature of the joke)

        Regards,

        Neil

        On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:25:58 +1100, Mark Woodward
        <markwoodward@...> wrote:
        > I knew vim was good, but to have a family of genes named after it is waaaay
        > to impressive!
        >
        > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=310168
        >
        > Perhaps this could be added to the 'Other Weirdness' section of 'Trivia' on
        > the vim site.
        >
        > --
        > Mark

      • Mikolaj Machowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
          Dnia wtorek, 2 listopada 2004 05:25, Mark Woodward napisaƂ:
          > I knew vim was good, but to have a family of genes named after it is
          > waaaay to impressive!
          >
          > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=310168

          Excerpts:

          "VIM-7 shows 77% identity with VIM-1"

          Isn't it slightly backward - fifteen years of development nad returning
          to the beginnings?

          "VIM-7 [...] may be considered part of the VIM family."

          What a relief.

          "VIM-7 is only distantly related to the other VIM-like"

          Hmm. So what with that VIM-1 similarities?

          "It is therefore unlikely that VIM-7 has arrived
          on the North American continent via immediate dissemination from Europe
          or East Asia, where the other VIM [...] have been reported. It is
          probable that VIM-7 has arisen independently within the United States."

          New internet protocol or hidden developer?

          m.

          :))))

          Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 6 Oct)
          http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
          CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net