Plain text search

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      Can Vim to do a true plain text search? I'm particularly thinking of
      an instance where all characters are taken literally. I know about
      :set nomagic and \V, but there is still the possibility (like
      Windows UNC paths) when a user is looking to find double backslashes
      and expects to find them when entering them as such.

      In the past, I created a dialog that took all inputs as literals,
      escaped the backslashes and used \V. This seemed a little hairy,
      being a substitution on a substitution, but it theoretically should
      work, right?

      Any other pitfalls or incompletness in this logic?

      --
      Steve Hall [ digitect mindspring com ]
    • Antony Scriven
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
        Steve Hall wrote:

        > Can Vim to do a true plain text search? I'm particularly
        > thinking of an instance where all characters are taken
        > literally. I know about :set nomagic and \V, but there is
        > still the possibility (like Windows UNC paths) when a
        > user is looking to find double backslashes and expects to
        > find them when entering them as such.
        >
        > In the past, I created a dialog that took all inputs as
        > literals, escaped the backslashes and used \V. This
        > seemed a little hairy, being a substitution on a
        > substitution, but it theoretically should work, right?

        I've used the same technique before without problems:

        fun Literal(string)
        return '\V' . escape(a:string, '\')
        endfun

        ... but not with path names.

        Antony
      • Hari Krishna Dara
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
          On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 at 11:31am, Antony Scriven wrote:

          > Steve Hall wrote:
          >
          > > Can Vim to do a true plain text search? I'm particularly
          > > thinking of an instance where all characters are taken
          > > literally. I know about :set nomagic and \V, but there is
          > > still the possibility (like Windows UNC paths) when a
          > > user is looking to find double backslashes and expects to
          > > find them when entering them as such.
          > >
          > > In the past, I created a dialog that took all inputs as
          > > literals, escaped the backslashes and used \V. This
          > > seemed a little hairy, being a substitution on a
          > > substitution, but it theoretically should work, right?
          >
          > I've used the same technique before without problems:
          >
          > fun Literal(string)
          > return '\V' . escape(a:string, '\')
          > endfun
          >
          > ... but not with path names.
          >
          > Antony

          Yes, I often use this technique too. With 'very nomagic' mode only
          backslashes are special, so if the input string is to be treated as a
          literal string, then just double the backslashes in them. This is
          reliable.

          --
          HTH,
          Hari