Re: full path with ls on first file

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      tramblab <tramblab@...> wrote:
      > thanks for the answer. I did not know this expand function...yet:-)
      >
      > but i need a little bit more!
      >
      > scenario:
      > i open the first file as described previously.
      > i now open a second file from an other directory.
      > i open a third file from a different directory.
      > in the vim window, i can see the third file.
      > then ':ls' --> all files are listed with full path,
      > but the first one.
      > My point is that I would like to see the full path
      > for the first file also.
      >
      > thx
      >
      > Bruno

      ":ls", like the statusline, don't show the full path for files which are in
      (or, IIUC, under) the current directory. A possibility would be to
      temporarily change to some out-of-the-way directory while you're invoking
      the ":ls" command.

      See
      :help :cd
      :help :lcd

      When you're not straying off-topic, please write to the mailing list, not
      only by private mail: I'm just one user of the Vim editor and I don't know
      everything. Oh, and by the way, a previous mail I sent to you at
      tramblab -at- yahoo.com got rejected (user unknown).

    • Keith Roberts
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004

        I like to see full paths also ...

        The easiest way to accomplish this is to invoke vim in a directory that
        is outside your source tree (or above the actual source files). I'm on
        Windows, so I create a shortcut for vim which has c:\claims as the
        "Start in:" directory, while my source is in w:\source\..., which is a
        mapped drive on a linux system accessed via samba. In c:\claims I put
        any support files I need: _vimrc, etc., and certain other vimmish files
        show up there as well (viminfo, session, etc.). This is my "project"
        directory, and since it isn't in my source tree, ALL source files loaded
        into buffers have fully-qualified paths. Voila'!

        If you use gnu-utils like locate and lid, you will have to:
        :cd project_dir
        :!updatedb source_tree
        :!mkid source_tree
        ... or some such. The above is from inside vim, but I run a nightly
        .bat that does these outside of vim.

        -Keith
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          Tramblay Bruno <tramblab@...> wrote:
          > hallo Antoine,
          >
          > thanks for your patience.
          >
          > it was just the first time I was using this group feature and I
          > thought the reply issued from this group page will automatically send
          > the mail to the list... Now I know.
          [...]

          "Reply to Sender" sends mail only to the author of the post (not to the
          list).

          "Reply to All" sends mail to the list, and also sends a copy to the author
          and to anyone else mentioned in the "To:" or "Cc:" of the post.

        • Hetzheim
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2004

            :pwd

            works too.